Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worths Brown VS Clear- Can you hear a difference???

On my koaloha, I can hear the difference between the brown and clears. The clears are brighter... but on my Melokia, they sound exactly the same.. Im thinking its the wood characteristics..
    generem ( je ne rem )

YT Channel

I think Melokia is the same as KPK.

Thanks Valerie. I haven't tried the Worth's yet on my KPK. D'Addario's on now and I don't know what to think. They are mellow and took a month to settle in but they feel really good for fingerpicking. I preferred the snappier Aquila's, though.

I'm hesitating on the Worths because my Kumalae soprano and my Koaloha Concert are both strung with Worths and I like them that way... So the KPK should be the mellow one in the lot.

I tend to notice from the sound sample that the BM's sound more mellow, in both fingerpicking and strumming.

I'll try to send you a sound sample with the D'Addario's. I'll try to record it after the Town Hall Meeting tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by UkÚDan View Post
    I think Melokia is the same as KPK.
    Yes.. Melokia is pretty much a rebadged KPK
    generem ( je ne rem )

YT Channel

Posted my video of D'Addario's on KPK here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI9TE7RtsRE
    Video quality rivals that of 1960's Romanian underground movies.......

I think Ken Middleton talked to a rep for Worth and he was told the clears and browns are the same except for color. The Browns were for darker ukes and the clears for lighter colored ukes.

Works for me. I have the Browns on my KoAloha and Kamaka tenors and the clears on the Pineapple Sunday (koa fret board.)

Although I stated the clears seemed brighter I have never recorded anything so I can only judge by what I hear while playing. It also seems like the clears are slightly higher in tension and this might give me the tactile perception that the clears are brighter, but what the heck do I know...
    Aloha,
    Ronnie

Nearly right, Ronnie.

Ken initially thought that the differences were merely cosmetic, but later found that Worth do intend the browns to be slightly mellower or "milder".

But you're right about the colour-coordination thing. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Middleton View Post
    I am wrong. Sorry. There is a slight difference between the same gauge brown and clear Worth strings.

I have recently spoken with Masaya Takahashi who makes the strings (in Kobe, Japan). They told me that the aim is for the brown one's to be "a little milder".

However, that they also confirmed that the aim is to "show beauty" by choosing the right colour string to "unify it with the body" of the instrument. Their intention being to use brown on dark-bodied ukes (e.g. mahogany) and clear on light-bodies ukes (e.g. mango).

And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

I just found a hair in my coffee* Which is weird, cuz I don't have hair. Oh well, extra protein.

I initially thought the first uke was more muddled... less crisp... wait, uke 2 is crispier and brighter... clear, like wa-ter.

On another note, .wOW! Somebody's been hittin' the KM books pretty hard! What's the second piece you played... its familiar.

It was easier to identify the strings in the first piece... did you switch the order?

*gross

I have had the Worth Brown tenors on my Kamaka for a while (while they Worth clear low g are on my Kanile'a). I used to think there wasn't a big difference, and I really preferred how the brown ones looked against the koa wood, so I chose the brown. But recently, I did start to feel as though they sounded a bit muddy or dead in tone (but I'm easily swayed so that could have been purely my imagination after reading that on these forums for so long). So I switched to the Worth clears yesterday, and they actually do sound much brighter and clearer -- almost crystal, or bell like in tone.

But again, I'm easily influenced and my ear isn't the best. Just my (current) humble opinion. Give me a week and I'll miss the pretty brown color, or decide that the clears are "too bright."
    Moore Bettah Kauai Dreams undersea inlay tenor "Hui Nani"
    Moore Bettah slothead offset soundhole tenor "Kula Leo"
    KoAloha KTMS-00 "Lokomaika'i"

Building and Owning a Bettah Ukulele: The story of Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story
    Listen With Your Heart: The KoAloha Ukulele Story e-book edition

In my recent experiments with my Mainland I thought the Fremont Blacklines were brighter than the Worth Browns, and as good as Worths. Others may disagree, but I liked them quite a bit.

"Everything I do gonh be funky from now on" - Allen Toussaint.

Thread Information