Choosing uke between $150/$250

ikele

Reaction score
Hi!

A friend lent me a tenor Lanikai LU21 and I can't put it down, I'm hooked to ukes... and I'm gonna get my 1st one! I've been researching in the last week (although I have a background on stringed instruments) before I chose. It won't the begginers uke you buy when you're not sure if you'll keep on playing.

For now I'm decided on the concert size but I want something better than the LU21, which I think is fine but I'd like something better sounding, with a solid top (I'm leaning to mohagony), maybe between $150 and $250 (i wonder if you can get soundboard bracing at these prices...)

I suppose all brands within the LU21 price range are very similar so I feel i should aim over $150, as I want something better sounding than the uke my friend lent me. What do you think, is it possible to get anything better in the $150-$250 range? any suggestions, models, brands? Thanks!

Last edited:
Short answer....

Mainland mahogany concert.

I rest my case....

For now I'm decided on the concert size but I want something better than the LU21, which I think is fine but I'd like something better sounding, with a solid top (I'm leaning to mohagony), maybe between $150 and $250 (i wonder if you can get soundboard bracing at these prices...)

Shameless plug: I think you need this http://www.wsukes.com/114/u114.html

:D

Thanks for the replies! these are very nice and seem really good contenders!
in that price range I'm also considering Kalas, Ohanas, and a Mele model (although this one was more than $300... don't know if I can strech to that!)

Last edited:
I have a Kala solid mahogany concert ukulele and I'm very happy with it.

ec85_35.JPG

You can get one from MGM, who is a UU member, at his eBay site for $209, which includes a hard shell case, the famous MGM setup, and upgraded Aquila strings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kala-ka-SMHC-SO...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5636bbe990

I'm kinda getting sick of posting this but it is my true, honest opinion. MAINLAND. Just do it! (new slogan, Mike?) (ok, so it may already be taken, I'll work on something else).

Seriously though, I read all of these people talking about how good Mainlands are and blah blah blah blah blah.....Then I got one. Everything I read was true. They're just awesome and for the price, IMO, unbeatable. I've heard good things about Kalas and Meles as well but IMO, Mainland is the way to go (unless you're going for K brand status, which a WHOLE nother ball game).

With that being said, I'm gonna be ordering my 2nd Mainland in the next couple weeks. Concert Mahog with Slotted Headstock and Mi-Si. So pumped.

Mainland....they're the cat's pajamas (or I guess in Mike's case, the bee's knees :D )

Top Bottom