What finger do you use?

rpeters

Reaction score
This is a total "noob" question, but I guess thats okay since I am a beginner and this is like my 2nd post here.

I see so many people using their index finger for strumming, (nail for down stroke) (flesh for upstroke) and it sounds great. I've been trying this for awhile, but it just doesn't seem to work that well on my ukulele. My finger keeps getting caught on one of the strings. Is my action too high on this ukulele so that when I make a chord certain strings stick out, which then catch my finger? Instead I've been using my middle finger nail (or index) and thumb nail for the upstroke like a guitar strum.

Does anyone here have any advice for a novice?

The instrument I play on is a lanikai soprano pineapple, but will be upgrading soon to a Kala Ka-st from MGM (I'm hoping he makes the perfect action on ukuleles and will make strumming with my index finger easier.)

I use my thumb,middle and ring finger, seems to work good for me but I am probably doing it wrong. I can't get my index finger to work.

Concentrate on finding something that is comfortable and feels and sounds good to you. There is no right or wrong way – at least that’s what I heard when I went through the same phase.

Personally, now I’ve settled on strumming down with my index, middle, and ring fingers all at once. On the upstroke, I rake the back of my thumbnail up the strings. Might be unconventional, but I like the sound and it feels good. That’s all I care about.

Find what works for you! Good luck!

So is it really a matter of personal preference or is there a definite technique that is better?

I figured using a the index finger is best used for very fast strumming like what Jake Shimabukuro does on some of his songs, but that may even be possible with middle finger and thumb as well.

Yeah that's probably it. I've been having trouble strumming with my index finger in that I either strum too soft and start missing strums all together, or strum to hard and get caught. Its hard to find that perfect strum. I guess it just takes practice.

Keep with the pointer. It may be awkward at first, but it allows you to get the most control and speed with your strumming.

Try keeping your finger very loose. Holding it out stiff isn't right and by keeping it loose you will get more comfortable.

If your finger is striking the first and fourth strings, twanging and getting caught, it might help to make sure you are strumming over the fret board, or the extended part of the fret board. That way there is less clearance at the side of the strings to catch your finger on.

Ukantor.

Click the link about strumming on this page http://www.doctoruke.com/beginners.html
Getting the strumming hand pointed in the right direction really helped me hit the strings more consistently. On the upstroke I keep the finger loose and pointed slightly downwards so more of the pad hits the strings. Works for me anyway.

Funnily enough though I'm using my ring finger to strum at the moment as I busted my index finger.

Keep with the pointer. It may be awkward at first, but it allows you to get the most control and speed with your strumming.

Try keeping your finger very loose. Holding it out stiff isn't right and by keeping it loose you will get more comfortable.

I would suggest going with whatever TJF says. If you've ever seen his videos, then you know he kicks ass and I would take whatever advice he gives and just run with it. Just my :2cents:

Think what these replies are rightly showing is that you shouldn't get too hung up on what the books and lessons insist you do - you need to find your own style.

yes, before I get flamed, you can help yourself by getting your position right, strumming in the sweet spot, not strumming too hard (which you are if you are getting tangled) etc.

But all of that said - you just need rhythm, a good ear, a loose wrist, and a nice touch - that comes with practice.

I've seen massive variations from some very accomplished players as to how they strum, and even how they hold the instrument. There is no right and wrong.

I personally strum with my index, and sometimes, when filling in, tend to involve my middle and possibly ring on up and possibly down strokes. Also use my thumb (fleshy part ) sometimes when mood demands it.

In my view, (same rules as apply when learning guitar) so long as you aren't being mad (strumming over the saddle, using a coin to strum, or anything else absurd) and you are strumming roughly in right place - you will learn your own style

as I say, keep that wrist floppy!

I strum with my pecker.:p

I call my pointer finger my pecker 'cause I use it to peck on my computer keyboard.

i mostly strum with my tounge...HOWEVER when i use my fingers i find that, yes, the over-the-fret-board technique is the best. This is also one of those cases of practice makes perfect....I also hold my hand as if i were holding a pick...using my fingers (most of them really) at the nail to strike down, and my thumb nail to strike up. It doesn't give as melllow a sound as flesh does...but on the plus side, its loud as hell...and if you don't do something right, you might as well do it loudly

Great thank you all for your replies. I'm going to check out that video of doctoruke and see the demonstration. I'll keep practicing with my index finger. I think I do strum way too hard, and have been strumming closer to the sound hole. I didn't realize you were supposed to strum all the way up on the fretboard. That may make it easier to hold too, haha.

I didn't realize you were supposed to strum all the way up on the fretboard.
Don't let anyone tell you how you're "supposed" to play! Take it as good advice, do it, let it soak in, then add it to all the ways you're not supposed to play. Otherwise, you'll end up sounding like everyone who plays "properly" instead of sounding like the unique person you are.

(hey, where's the 2cent sticky when you need it?)

Last edited:
I started with my thumb and index but as i got better at strumming i started only using my index.

Think what these replies are rightly showing is that you shouldn't get too hung up on what the books and lessons insist you do - you need to find your own style.

yes, before I get flamed, you can help yourself by getting your position right, strumming in the sweet spot, not strumming too hard (which you are if you are getting tangled) etc.

But all of that said - you just need rhythm, a good ear, a loose wrist, and a nice touch - that comes with practice.

I've seen massive variations from some very accomplished players as to how they strum, and even how they hold the instrument. There is no right and wrong.

I personally strum with my index, and sometimes, when filling in, tend to involve my middle and possibly ring on up and possibly down strokes. Also use my thumb (fleshy part ) sometimes when mood demands it.

In my view, (same rules as apply when learning guitar) so long as you aren't being mad (strumming over the saddle, using a coin to strum, or anything else absurd) and you are strumming roughly in right place - you will learn your own style

as I say, keep that wrist floppy!

:agree::agree: I use my thumb but I come from being a guitar player...

Top Bottom