Noob restrictions anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

specialmike

Reaction score
I recently joined an armor building forum and they have such restrictions. I can elaborate later on, just wondering what you guys think.

We discussed things like this in the Town Hall. I don't think we will have any but there is a new section for new members to introduce themselves and also I think there will be some selling restrictions made, but really we want the board to be welcoming with the Aloha Spirit. I think any true restrictions would be a henderance to that...

I recently joined an armor building forum and they have such restrictions. I can elaborate later on, just wondering what you guys think.

I have signed up for such a forum (with restrictions... I've never built armor out of anything but cardboard boxes, and it will probably stay that way FOR EVER), but after signing up so I could search, I never came back with my questions (it was a Linux forum) since

1) they were so restrictive
2) it didn't seem like a very friendly place anyway
3) I only have enough Linux knowledge to get myself into trouble (which was proven when I tried to dual boot on my wife's computer... I still haven't heard the end of it :()

So I wouldn't do it. This is the only internet forum I've ever wanted to be "involved" in, and I think we should keep it that way.

how did you feel when you came up on these restrictions on the other forum?

I don't mind the restrictions. I feel that it allows for the new armor builders, in our case ukulele players, to learn about forum, techniques that are already present on the forum, and the community that is here. This way, you don't get constant repeats in threads, such as my c string is buzzing, even though there is a sticky. I can't post new threads on the armor building forum basically, but I can view everything and read everything on the forums. They even had a "new member" video orientation. I didn't feel that the restrictions made the forum feel unwelcoming or anything, it gives time for the newer members to learn the rules of the forum and whatnot. I'm all for the aloha spirit and welcoming our new comers but they should be well aware of our rules and our UU customs before jumping into our community.

It just makes sense, you're a new member, your FIRST post should be in that "introduce yourself" thread (and I know we have one, but some people just don't do it) and they should be reading and getting to know the community before they go off and start asking questions that have already been asked before. The only thread I can post in is the "noob forum" on that armor building website.

The site is 405th.com if you want to check it out to see what I mean. Mayhaps it's not the best layout for an ukulele forum, but I feel that their restrictions have good reason, esp. since everyone starts out in the same place here on UU. And we shouldn't incorporate an exact replica of it onto the UU forums, but there might be some properties that we can copy to better UU operations.
But whatever, just some food for thought, just thought I'd let you know what I've found to be helpful for other forums.

Last edited:
I think it's great that you brought an idea to the table like this, Mike :) It might well work on a different website but probably not here.

Part of the charm of UU is it's welcoming nature and people feeling like they can instantly become part of the community. That's why I really liked Brick's recent 'Contest for Beginners'. I think people are going to be inclined to return if they feel like they're part of the place after being here for a week or so. Ego's should be left at the door and we should all be here on a level playing field that's designed to help eachother along. I don't want people being afraid to ask questions or being worried that they're going to insult people by not using the right (n)etiquette

The people who have been here for a while should help newcomers by setting a good example and showing them what UU's all about. That's the way forward ;)

Just a comment about rules and such: long ago, when I was first going to get on the 'Net, when there was still Pine and Elm for mail and Lynx for browsing, Cat'r set down the rules I should know before even attempting to get started on Usenet: read the threads, don't just jump in, don't type in CAPS, and a bunch of other things that make sense, really.

But it terrified me, because I thought if I put a foot wrong, I'd be flamed. Badly. The way he presented the 'Net to me, I felt it was a very scary and inhospitable place where, if you were very very careful, you might be able to get some useful information.

I didn't start the right way here on UU. The first thing I did was post a rather nervous thread about my old plastic picks from the '70's and the weird vinegar-y smell they had developed. I did post it in the Ukulele Beginners forum, so I did that part right. Everyone was very helpful and kind, and I felt very grateful for their help.

So I guess rules are useful since things can get out of hand; but I know that in some situations, they just discourage people from even hanging around long enough to get the courage up to post.

Just my :2cents:

CountryMouse

I don't think anyone should be allowed to post anything until that have posted at least 10 posts. Maybe more.

How can they post 10 posts if they can't post anything? :confused:

Let x equal the harm caused by newbs sometimes posting newbishly, as is the case currently.

Let y equal the harm caused by imposing newb restrictions, therefore reducing new membership and diminishing, overall, the relatively free and open culture of the forum.

x < y

'nuff said

JJ

Let x equal the harm caused by newbs sometimes posting newbishly, as is the case currently.

Let y equal the harm caused by imposing newb restrictions, therefore reducing new membership and diminishing, overall, the relatively free and open culture of the forum.

x < y

'nuff said

JJ

I agree .

I didn't know you guys had had a meeting on November 9th, I was at work.. so as a result, I missed the chance to throw my input in, just forget about it. JJ's math isn't the most convincing but just fuh-get about it.

I didn't know you guys had had a meeting on November 9th, I was at work.. so as a result, I missed the chance to throw my input in, just forget about it. JJ's math isn't the most convincing but just fuh-get about it.

No worries! :) S'all good!

This way, you don't get constant repeats in threads, such as my c string is buzzing, even though there is a sticky.
That's kinda the way forums work though. If you stick around any forum long enough you will hear the same questions over and over. At least now with the separate sub-forums people can ignore those questions if they want to.

As for the part in the town meeting regarding the trading forum. I couldn't talk in the chat because I wasn't logged in and had to go to bed anyway but I wanted to add my $0.02.
Escrow for newbies is bad idea in my opinion. That seemed to be the majority opinion anyway but just thought I'd add my thoughts to the mix. We don't really use that here in the UK and someone asking for payment using a system I've barely heard of would really put me off buy or selling.
On another forum I'm on they have a rule of a minimum of 25 posts and a months membership before they are allowed to post in the trading forum. Reduces the number of people just passing through to scam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom