Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob restrictions anyone?

Default Noob restrictions anyone?

I recently joined an armor building forum and they have such restrictions. I can elaborate later on, just wondering what you guys think.

We discussed things like this in the Town Hall. I don't think we will have any but there is a new section for new members to introduce themselves and also I think there will be some selling restrictions made, but really we want the board to be welcoming with the Aloha Spirit. I think any true restrictions would be a henderance to that...
    -Andy

YouTube|Twitter|E-Mail|The Blog|Facebook
    They're all snipes. Usually Seeso snipes them. He just tried it but didn't get it. HA! -sukie
    Katie replied, "You poho people are like drug addicts and you're each others drugs".- salukulady

Quote Originally Posted by specialmike View Post
    I recently joined an armor building forum and they have such restrictions. I can elaborate later on, just wondering what you guys think.
    how did you feel when you came up on these restrictions on the other forum?

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    I'm sorry. But this type of question isn't allowed on this forum. I refer you to Rule 2.

-Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

[...] just wondering what you guys think.
    [thinks] Nah. [/thinks]
    And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no,
    And whether the skin be black or white as the snow,
    Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong,
    As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.

I have signed up for such a forum (with restrictions... I've never built armor out of anything but cardboard boxes, and it will probably stay that way FOR EVER), but after signing up so I could search, I never came back with my questions (it was a Linux forum) since

1) they were so restrictive
    2) it didn't seem like a very friendly place anyway
    3) I only have enough Linux knowledge to get myself into trouble (which was proven when I tried to dual boot on my wife's computer... I still haven't heard the end of it )

So I wouldn't do it. This is the only internet forum I've ever wanted to be "involved" in, and I think we should keep it that way.
    YouTube! Soundclick!
    HEY MIM -> D I C K L E S !
    - John Eller is the Man -
    PM me if I know you and we aren't Facebook friends!

I don't think it's a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by deach View Post
    I don't mind the restrictions. I feel that it allows for the new armor builders, in our case ukulele players, to learn about forum, techniques that are already present on the forum, and the community that is here. This way, you don't get constant repeats in threads, such as my c string is buzzing, even though there is a sticky. I can't post new threads on the armor building forum basically, but I can view everything and read everything on the forums. They even had a "new member" video orientation. I didn't feel that the restrictions made the forum feel unwelcoming or anything, it gives time for the newer members to learn the rules of the forum and whatnot. I'm all for the aloha spirit and welcoming our new comers but they should be well aware of our rules and our UU customs before jumping into our community.

It just makes sense, you're a new member, your FIRST post should be in that "introduce yourself" thread (and I know we have one, but some people just don't do it) and they should be reading and getting to know the community before they go off and start asking questions that have already been asked before. The only thread I can post in is the "noob forum" on that armor building website.

The site is 405th.com if you want to check it out to see what I mean. Mayhaps it's not the best layout for an ukulele forum, but I feel that their restrictions have good reason, esp. since everyone starts out in the same place here on UU. And we shouldn't incorporate an exact replica of it onto the UU forums, but there might be some properties that we can copy to better UU operations.
    But whatever, just some food for thought, just thought I'd let you know what I've found to be helpful for other forums.
    Last edited by specialmike; 11-11-2009 at 03:39 AM.

You can watch the town hall here:
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2530465

We chatted about this kind of thing there, and we just don't feel it is a good idea. Ryan did create a new member section, and a thread with some info about the forums and constructive things in it here. Check it out, Good things are happening here!
    -Andy

YouTube|Twitter|E-Mail|The Blog|Facebook
    They're all snipes. Usually Seeso snipes them. He just tried it but didn't get it. HA! -sukie
    Katie replied, "You poho people are like drug addicts and you're each others drugs".- salukulady

I think it's great that you brought an idea to the table like this, Mike It might well work on a different website but probably not here.

Part of the charm of UU is it's welcoming nature and people feeling like they can instantly become part of the community. That's why I really liked Brick's recent 'Contest for Beginners'. I think people are going to be inclined to return if they feel like they're part of the place after being here for a week or so. Ego's should be left at the door and we should all be here on a level playing field that's designed to help eachother along. I don't want people being afraid to ask questions or being worried that they're going to insult people by not using the right (n)etiquette

The people who have been here for a while should help newcomers by setting a good example and showing them what UU's all about. That's the way forward

Thread Information