Noob restrictions anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, new members, or 'new to forums' members, need guidance and explanations, not intimidation and restrictions. Most are reluctant to take a step too far when they first start posting anyway, and most will be reasonable enough to accept guidance by others if they mess up.

Emphatically agree. Forcing new members to jump through hoops before they are granted the privilege of being treated as an equal would be an enormous mistake. That sends a message: "You're not welcome here until you prove you're good enough for us."

The present setup informs new users well enough, and welcomes them warmly, and if first mistakes are gently corrected and repeat infractions are not tolerated, then I see no reason to impose restrictions or requirements.

Regarding the repeated threads about new strings and such: How about not reading the thread if it bothers you?

I was once a very timid newb myself -- go figure -- and I had A LOT to learn about the ukulele. Still do as a matter of fact. Anyway -- I have no problem with new people asking the same questions over and over and over again. Is it really so horrible for people to ask? As Rayan talked about the generations last night it struck me. I've been here since April '08, so I'm sort of 3rd generation maybe? String questions just are a topic I may steer clear of -- but not always. The second generation can now be the "leaders" and answer the questions. And so on and so on.

I'm afraid if what can be asked is limited, it'll become quite dead around here.

That's just me. And, I'm done.

Sukie

i agree sukie. the problem isnt the new members. it's how older members treat new members when they get annoyed with their questions. and then the bullies blame their own behavior on the new members not knowing the rules of the forum.

if you want to help the person out ona repeat thread then go right ahead.

if you just want to pick on them and condescendingly direct them to the "newb" threads because you get off on acting like "post police"...do everyone involved a favor and let someone else reply to it.

Emphatically agree. Forcing new members to jump through hoops before they are granted the privilege of being treated as an equal would be an enormous mistake. That sends a message: "You're not welcome here until you prove you're good enough for us."

The present setup informs new users well enough, and welcomes them warmly, and if first mistakes are gently corrected and repeat infractions are not tolerated, then I see no reason to impose restrictions or requirements.

I can see how wording it wrong could send a bad "know your place newb" message, but I don't see how a friendly message of how to enjoy the forum would send that sort of message. It's just a minor method of prevention. Why wait for mistakes when you can prevent some of them? It wouldn't just be for new members either. For current members, it would be a friendly reminder to everyone on what UU is about. I think it works in small scale as a forum.

i agree sukie. the problem isnt the new members. it's how older members treat new members when they get annoyed with their questions. and then the bullies blame their own behavior on the new members not knowing the rules of the forum.

if you want to help the person out ona repeat thread then go right ahead.

if you just want to pick on them and condescendingly direct them to the "newb" threads because you get off on acting like "post police"...do everyone involved a favor and let someone else reply to it.

I've seen it both ways from new and old. Sometimes I sense a gang mentality around here. Displease one displeases many, and soon everyone wants a piece. I've thought a few times about leaving because of the negative attitudes I've seen. I already went on hiatus once when things were good and things were totally different when I came back (less stellar than before). Disagreements can be better stated in a respectful manner. Aloha spirit all the way.

It still comes to one thing Just play nice in the sand box. Its easy its and its a choice. If a post rubs you the wrong don't read it and don't answer it. PM and guide the person if yuo need to. Number 1 thing we are here to have fun, learn and promote the love of Ukuleles. It shouldn't be so hard.

just start a vote/poll if it's such a pertinent issue. Arguing won't get us anywhere. Majority rule by an additional 20% should settle it.

just start a vote/poll if it's such a pertinent issue. Arguing won't get us anywhere. Majority rule by an additional 20% should settle it.

That's the thing, I don't think it's a pertinent issue. Most of us do not agree with the implementation of noob restrictions.

If someone doesn't want to help a new member who's asked a previously asked question then just ignore it - there's plenty of people here who don't mind helping out.

Letting new members make mistakes gives the opportunity to other members to point them in the right direction - aka giving them the opportunity to contribute to the community (providing it's done and worded in the right way)

It was an interesting idea and it's great that you're thinking of ways to improve the forum but I don't think it'll work here on UU. The warm welcomes and guidance is what makes this place great. Let's allow people to get involved in the community right from day one.

It still comes to one thing Just play nice in the sand box. Its easy its and its a choice. If a post rubs you the wrong don't read it and don't answer it. PM and guide the person if yuo need to. Number 1 thing we are here to have fun, learn and promote the love of Ukuleles. It shouldn't be so hard.

Exactly. I took someone's post the wrong way a while back and answered it in a slightly snarky way. A friend of this person's PM'd me in a friendly nice way to let me know that person wasn't anything like what I'd thought. I went out on the boards and posted an apology!!

It's so easy to take things the wrong way, but a kind and friendly (and private) nudge in the right direction makes things a lot better than hard, cold, negative rules, etc.

CountryMouse

That's the thing, I don't think it's a pertinent issue. Most of us do not agree with the implementation of noob restrictions.

Well spoken Seeso. I think this should end this thread, whats ya think gang?
Doug

I agree Seeso. No noob restrictions, we just need to help them. That's what makes UU so special.

I am a noob here and have felt most welcome, and have learned so much in a short time. As far as restrictions, well, our society has become so rule and restriction concious that it is bordering on oppressive. I find the Aloha spirit here most refreshing. I have quit visiting several forums due to constant flaming and smart a$$ comments from mods and editors. I have not seen that here. I am most impressed by the diversity of people from all over the world here, sharing, getting along, and caring about one another. The UN could take a lesson from the UU. I'll shut up and get a beer.
Peace, Love and Uke & Roll.

I am a noob here and have felt most welcome, and have learned so much in a short time. As far as restrictions, well, our society has become so rule and restriction concious that it is bordering on oppressive. I find the Aloha spirit here most refreshing. I have quit visiting several forums due to constant flaming and smart a$$ comments from mods and editors. I have not seen that here. I am most impressed by the diversity of people from all over the world here, sharing, getting along, and caring about one another. The UN could take a lesson from the UU. I'll shut up and get a beer.
Peace, Love and Uke & Roll.

I give a +1 for that. Thanks for the warm fuzzies.:D

I think this topic has been discussed enough. Thanks for your input, everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom