Longneck Soprano questions

Reaction score
In my ongoing consideration of different ukes, I'm thinking about an Ohana longneck soprano SK-30L. How is the sound in comparison to a standard soprano instrument? Also, would Worth brown strings be okay? The Elderly advertisement states "low tension strings recommended".

Also, does anyone know where one can buy an Ohana SK-25 soprano in the states? I'm having a hard time finding one for sale.

thanks!

Last edited:
In my ongoing consideration of different ukes, I'm thinking about an Ohana longneck soprano SK-30L. How is the sound in comparison to a standard soprano instrument? Also, would Worth brown strings be okay? The Elderly advertisement states "low tension strings recommended".

Also, does anyone know where one can buy an Ohana SK-25 soprano in the states? I'm having a hard time finding one for sale.

thanks!

I had one. It's a fun player, but not sounding like a regular soprano. In fact, it had an almost banjo-y sound to it. I liked it, but gave it to someone who didn't own a uke yet.

I had one. It's a fun player, but not sounding like a regular soprano. In fact, it had an almost banjo-y sound to it. I liked it, but gave it to someone who didn't own a uke yet.

Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.

Anybody know where to find an Ohana SK-25?

String selection is very important......

I have a Koaloha Long neck soprano, Lehua Long neck soprano, Kiwaya Long neck soprano......... All these sound very nice and not Banjo Like...... But these are also long neck/concert scale

The Ohana 30L is a different animal alltogether!!!!! It has a Tenor scale on a soprano body and this can lead to a Banjo like sound if you don't marry the right strings to it...... I'm using worth Browns/blacks with it and it sounds very nice.... The Ohana is a solid mahogany bodied uke and it will mellow out the banjoness rather nicely.......

On the other hand... I had a Kala spruce top long neck soprano (tenor scale) with aquila strings and it did sound like a banjo....sold it!!!!!!!!

Check with MGM on eBay, I think I have seen him offer them. If not, call him. Very fast shipping from Hawaii.

If anyone can get you the -25 soprano, MGM could.

I have an Ohana longneck soprano and I love it. It is a bit on
the sharp side in sound, but very pleasant to me.

The tenor scale is very comfortable and the Soprano body keeps it from sounding guitar-y.\

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

After going back and forth, I ordered up a Kiwaya KS-1 from Elderly. $200 is a lot to pay for a laminated uke, but I'm hoping it will be everything I've heard it to be. I used to own a Kiwaya KTS-4 and foolishly sold it, so I know the quality will be there with the Kiwaya.

Top Bottom