Thread: Longneck Soprano questions

Default Longneck Soprano questions

In my ongoing consideration of different ukes, I'm thinking about an Ohana longneck soprano SK-30L. How is the sound in comparison to a standard soprano instrument? Also, would Worth brown strings be okay? The Elderly advertisement states "low tension strings recommended".

Also, does anyone know where one can buy an Ohana SK-25 soprano in the states? I'm having a hard time finding one for sale.

thanks!
    Last edited by mcgannahanskjellifetti; 11-13-2009 at 05:56 AM.

1950s Harmony Soprano
    Silver Creek T-160
    Epiphone Masterbilt DR500M
    2008 Classic Vibe Telecaster

Quote Originally Posted by mcgannahanskjellifetti View Post
    In my ongoing consideration of different ukes, I'm thinking about an Ohana longneck soprano SK-30L. How is the sound in comparison to a standard soprano instrument? Also, would Worth brown strings be okay? The Elderly advertisement states "low tension strings recommended".

Also, does anyone know where one can buy an Ohana SK-25 soprano in the states? I'm having a hard time finding one for sale.

thanks!

I had one. It's a fun player, but not sounding like a regular soprano. In fact, it had an almost banjo-y sound to it. I liked it, but gave it to someone who didn't own a uke yet.
    -Alan (UKISOCIETY)

My muse.

Quote Originally Posted by UKISOCIETY View Post
    I had one. It's a fun player, but not sounding like a regular soprano. In fact, it had an almost banjo-y sound to it. I liked it, but gave it to someone who didn't own a uke yet.

Thanks for the heads up. Doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.

Anybody know where to find an Ohana SK-25?

1950s Harmony Soprano
    Silver Creek T-160

String selection is very important......

I have a Koaloha Long neck soprano, Lehua Long neck soprano, Kiwaya Long neck soprano......... All these sound very nice and not Banjo Like...... But these are also long neck/concert scale

The Ohana 30L is a different animal alltogether!!!!! It has a Tenor scale on a soprano body and this can lead to a Banjo like sound if you don't marry the right strings to it...... I'm using worth Browns/blacks with it and it sounds very nice.... The Ohana is a solid mahogany bodied uke and it will mellow out the banjoness rather nicely.......

On the other hand... I had a Kala spruce top long neck soprano (tenor scale) with aquila strings and it did sound like a banjo....sold it!!!!!!!!

Check with MGM on eBay, I think I have seen him offer them. If not, call him. Very fast shipping from Hawaii.

If anyone can get you the -25 soprano, MGM could.

I have an Ohana longneck soprano and I love it. It is a bit on
    the sharp side in sound, but very pleasant to me.

The tenor scale is very comfortable and the Soprano body keeps it from sounding guitar-y.\
    Oscar Schmidt OU5

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

After going back and forth, I ordered up a Kiwaya KS-1 from Elderly. $200 is a lot to pay for a laminated uke, but I'm hoping it will be everything I've heard it to be. I used to own a Kiwaya KTS-4 and foolishly sold it, so I know the quality will be there with the Kiwaya.

1950s Harmony Soprano
    Silver Creek T-160

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Ohana-SK-30L...item53ddfd6d46

Looks like its a bit late... but the Ohana giraffe is a sweet little Betty. And not at all banjo-y... unless banjo-y means AWESOME!
    (Worth Clear)

Thread Information