Cbu #1

Matt Clara

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Looks nice, but so far I can't get it to stay in tune. I'm assuming (hoping) the problem is a combination new aquila strings and blessed violin peg tuners. I think I may have outsmarted myself with my plan to save money on violin tuners. (Honestly, though, where else can a guy find tuners other than silver or gold?)

I've learned a lot, and will try to get this one tuned up and its action better set (plenty high, still).

My other CBU is slowly coming together. I've printed the b&w photos on the front and back panels, next comes the sides. That won't be until next weekend, as the liquid emulsion I'm using needs multiple coats and several days to dry. After that, it's assembly time.

Attachments

• cbu01a.jpg
    cbu01a.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 87
  • cbu01b.jpg
    cbu01b.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 72
Looks good! In my experience violin tuners get a lot better after a while (a couple of weeks at most). Then there's no longer any reason to jam in them as hard as you can to keep them from slipping. Really cheap, low weight, cool looks. Erm... that can be said about me as well.

Sven

Oh, I like that, Mattclara! Very nice work. If I may make a suggestion, I think your tuning problem might stem from the way you've left the back open-able.

The structural stiffness of the body (the box) is compromised, and it may be flexing under the tension of the strings. Try gently pushing and pulling on the neck, vertically, while a chord is playing. It should be solid as a rock. If it goes "Wah Wah", you've got flex.

I always remove the lining wood inside the box, then glue 'em up.

Ain't cigar box ukes GREAT!

Ukantor.

Oh, I like that, Mattclara! Very nice work. If I may make a suggestion, I think your tuning problem might stem from the way you've left the back open-able.

The structural stiffness of the body (the box) is compromised, and it may be flexing under the tension of the strings. Try gently pushing and pulling on the neck, vertically, while a chord is playing. It should be solid as a rock. If it goes "Wah Wah", you've got flex.

I always remove the lining wood inside the box, then glue 'em up.

Ain't cigar box ukes GREAT!

Ukantor.

I agree... But you may get away with bracing the sides a bit more if you a set on keeping the box openable.

Let us know what ends up working for you.

:)

JT

Do you have a hunch, what's making her go out of tune? Are the tuners slipping, are the strings still settling in, is the body "giving" ???

Do you have a hunch, what's making her go out of tune? Are the tuners slipping, are the strings still settling in, is the body "giving" ???

I think it's just the strings, plus, the tuners are fiddly. Have to press them in and turn, little jumps take the string well past where they need to be, back and forth we go, by the time I've gotten all four in tune, the top string is out of tune again. Finally, I got them in tune, started playing, they went out of tune. The body creaks just a bit, but I think it's the top rubbing against the bottom. The neck and everything is attached just to the top/thickest part (formerly the bottom of the box), and I think that's pretty rigid, with the dovetail corners and all.

Looks great. I'm hoping you can get it to stay in tune. How's it sound?

It's staying in tune better, and I'm happy to report it sounds exactly like my koalhoa concert...with a sock stuffed in it. Not much depth to it, but there's always the possibility the cedar top will open up some and make a noticeable difference in that regard. Also, some finish on the front might tighten it up some. The cedar definitely needs something to protect it, anyway. Same goes for the neck.

That's what I found, Mattclara. It will make a big difference to the sound, as well as the tuning.

If it is down on volume, and sustain, it could be that the top (Back of the box; front of the uke) is a bit on the thick side. I try to aim for about 1/10" on a box the size of yours.

That is a very nice box you've used. I haven't seen that brand.

Ukantor.

A CBU #1 Video Update

I put together a quick "review" of my first cigar box ukulele, if anyone's interested. The camera was set a little high, so there's a whole lot of me in it, and not enough of the uke, but it's my second take already, so, good enough (same goes with the audio compression--too much artifacting for my tastes!).

CBU #0001 Review

...there's always the possibility the cedar top will open up some and make a noticeable difference in that regard.

Cedar doesn't usually "open up" that much, not like spruce.

Just a hunch, but wouldn't gluing the back on help get that going to provide more projection?

P.S. Sorry, I hadn't seen your vid yet before suggesting gluing the back on.

BTW, I like the box - it really looks and sounds good. The cedar neck looks great too and matches the box really well.

Last edited:
I showed my wife, she got a good laugh at all the times I knocked it against my stupid lamp. Especially the time where I said, any little bump puts a ding in it, and then promptly knocked it against the lamp (again!).

Just watched your vid. Matt. Looks like you've done a great job, and it sounds gooood! A well made CB uke is a fine thing, and non-ukulele folk seem to find them REALLY interesting. I think it's the idea that a humble, everyday box can be made into a proper instrument.

Way to go!

John Colter.

Top Bottom