Martin SO fret and side markers

Pukulele Pete

Reaction score
I just thought I would show off my Martin SO. I put markers on the fretboard
in the style of a vintage style 1. I also put markers on the neck. Really dresse up the SO, they should have done this at the factory. I am really pleased with how it came out.

Attachments

• CIMG3089.jpg
    CIMG3089.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 81
  • CIMG3090.jpg
    CIMG3090.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 78
Looks good!

John C.

markers

Pete that looks great!
I just got a used So and want to do the same thing. How did you do it. With a hand drill or a drill press ex..
Dan

I'd be tempted to get out the carving chisles ..and put a chamfer on the toe end of the fretboard.:rolleyes:like the old Martins.

I'd be tempted to get out the carving chisles ..and put a chamfer on the toe end of the fretboard.:rolleyes:like the old Martins.
Yes, I've thought that myself. The older ones are so elegant in comparison. Why Martin won't just reproduce what they did previously is a mystery to me.

you know this thing is easier to play now. It seems more ukulele like with the markers. It seemed alittle generic before. It looks great now. What I did was use side markers I got off Ebay. They are small plastic rods. I masked off the areas where I was drilling. I measured twice and marked my spots, I should have measured three times but its hard to see. I used an awl to start each hole and drilled thru the tape.Drill through the tape in case the bit wanders.I used my Dremel with a 5/64's bit.
Put some titebond on the end of the rod and shove it in.
Snip off the excess but leave about 1/8 inch sticking out. After its dry (I waited a day) trim it very carefully with an exacto knife. Voila ! I thought about the champfer and may do it but I'm worried about matching the stain. Now it looks like a Martin.

Last edited:
I'd use the Exacto knife, and nail file type sanding board, to round off the end of the fingerboard. I reckon the re-stained end will look fine so long as it is a bit darker, not lighter.

John Colter.

Looking back at what I did if I were to do it again I would mask my frets with the strings on ( tape it under the strings ) and find my spots based on where the strings are rather than measuring the fretboard. The strings are not always centered perfectly on the fretboard. Then I would take my strings off and think about drilling. My markers are a tiny bit off but I'm hoping I'm the only one that notices.

Here's what Tom Guy, from Bluegrass Ukuleles, did for my S-O:

2575603074_52559a69dd_b.jpg

I'm more confident playing it now with the markers.

so uke

Got my eBay Martin so yesterday. Already ordered fret markers. Had them waiting for the uke. I put the fret markers on yesterday and they turned out nice. Style o white pearl. I am going to order side markers next and put them on.
Making the martin look the way it should is fun. Thanks for the ideas.
Dan
Photos soon.

I recommend this to anyone with an SO. This has really transformed the uke,now it is more user friendly. This is now my "go to " uke. It used to sit in its case. I liked it but but it was very plain and it was like playing blind before.
For me, the transformation is dramatic. This is now a great uke.

SO

So what strings have you guys put on your SO that work for you. I just got mine and bought a set of Martin Fluorocarbons. I will put them on tomorrow.
Dan

Top Bottom