Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Feds raid Gibson guitars offices.

Default Feds raid Gibson guitars offices.

THATS CRAZY!!! that makes me sad...
    Kala Tenor Solid Lacewood and Sprucetop cutaway
    Tenor Rosewood Eleuke
    Bushman Jenny Pineapple

I read about that on a guitar forum yesterday, and I find it hard to fathom someone going to great lengths to do something illegal, with no real gain to be seen. That wood can't be that much better than what is legally available, not enough to risk incarceration.

Quote Originally Posted by vahn View Post
    THATS CRAZY!!! that makes me sad...
    Sad for whom? Gibson, or the trees?

JJ
    "Talent is just a pursued interest. In other words, anything you are willing to practice, you can do." -- Bob Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Ukulele JJ View Post
    Sad for whom? Gibson, or the trees?

JJ
    I'd have to say both. Sad they would go to that extent and sad that the trees are being destroyed for something a synthetic can do just as well these days.

Kinda makes me want to set all my ukulele free in the forest.

"You're home little fellas."

(Except the Fluke)

This item is inconclusive unless I have missed something. Guilty until proven innocent? Let's not start throwing stones here yet,,,

Also you should know that Hamburg has been the traditional conduit for exotics. The connection in the article is vague and somewhat spurious. Madagascan rosewood has been available on and off for a few years now with Madinter in Spain carrying it.

I'm not defending Gibson - it's just there is not enough info here to make a reasoned judgement. Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise there was a ban, then there wasn't and now I'm unsure,

It's great immitation rio rosewood though for fingerboards - there are 20 Howlett soranos out there with Madagascan fingerboards

I don't understand why a company like Gibson would buy illegally imported timber - if they did. My guess is that they may have been deceived by unscrupulous suppliers. Still, the Feds have to start with them, and trace it back through the chain of supply. It won't be easy.

Unfortunately, when wood is so valuable, someone is going to cut it down, and someone will buy it. If they can't stop criminals from killing elephants and tigers for their body parts, what chance has a tree got?

Don't it all just go to show----------------

John Colter.

If the story turns out to be true then those responsible at Gibson are idiots. Were they really trying to sneak it through Germany? Even if the charges are dropped, damage has been done to Gibson. Think we'll ever see a story about the charges being dismissed?
    I've said it before, the feds take stuff like this seriously. When in doubt, don't use anything that might be endangered. It's simply not worth it.
    And I'm sorry, anyone who thinks synthetics can replace wood "just as well", simply hasn't played a good solid wood ukulele. Nevertheless, I'm glad I switched over to particle board and Trex for all my building needs.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Howlett View Post
    Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up. I didn't realise there was a ban, then there wasn't and now I'm unsure,
    It's illegal, the president of Madagascar can't change that.

Thread Information