A nice piece of walnut

dave g

Reaction score
Got six nice book matched concert size front/back sets out of this chunk:

walnut2.jpg

:D

I use a table saw and cut (rough) to 3/32". Note that this requires a zero-clearance top insert around the blade (the plywood thing visible in the picture above). I make two passes, with the blade a little more than halfway through the piece.

There's gold in that firewood, I tell ya. Next time include a pic of the original log, if you would be so kind.

Progress!

118-119.jpg

Numbers 118 & 119 (concert scale) after the first wiped-on coat of shellac (but before sanding it). My walnut supply is not huge, so on these two I'm using other woods (maple and oak) for the big chunk - the neck. They both have walnut veneer on the face of the head stock though. I think it's going to look neat (but I'm biased :) ). Both will have nice dark rosewood fret boards and bridges. Both have a very promising "tap tone" to 'em - I think they are going to sound really good.

Dave, I really like the all walnut body. Just curious, does the walnut require anything special (thinner) to be used as a tonewood? Is this Eastern Black Walnut, or another species? I've heard there are significant differences between the tonal properties of the different walnut species, with Eastern Black walnut being the best. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I still want to see a walnut pineapple. :D

Dave, I really like the all walnut body. Just curious, does the walnut require anything special (thinner) to be used as a tonewood? Is this Eastern Black Walnut, or another species? I've heard there are significant differences between the tonal properties of the different walnut species, with Eastern Black walnut being the best. Thanks for sharing the photos.

I have no idea exactly what sub-species it it... central ohio ordinary, perhaps? :) Walnut tends to be rather light weight (for a "hardwood") and I think this makes it good for a soundboard. On these the tops & backs are about .070" thick before finish sanding.

Dave,

I just PMed you but I should have read your post through and most of my questions would have been answered. Wow you have made some really nice Uke's.
I love walnut wood to work with. The tree I referred to came from the bank of the Black River next the my city. It was in a high flood area and has some incredible grain to it. I will post some pictures once I get it cut up this morning.

Doug

I think walnut is so under utilized in instrument building. I have a local mill that has a couple thousand or so feet of 8/4 walnut that I have been using for instruments for some time. They primarily mill oak for flooring but got a couple walnut logs in years ago. Its great to work with and I've made several necks from it and they turned out great.

Dave, I see that you are in Columbus, OH. I have friend there who is a boat builder and he has tons of Honduran mahogany that he bought 30+ years ago. I get over there, I'm in Columbus, IN, a couple times a year and get some from him which I use for bodies in my electrics.

Andrew

Top Bottom