Uke Scales - Diagrams

GrumpyCoyote

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Seems like there is enough demand for these, so enjoy. Please let me know if there are any errors, or if you have any suggestions.

Note: I'm not a graphic designer - if anyone wants to help out on these and make them a bit more professional (fret sizes, backgrounds, text) - I would really appreciate it.

I don't include every key or mode, just some of the common ones I use - if you have a request, let me know and I'll add it when I can. The "Whole, Half" and fret patterns work for the mode no matter what key you are in, so they can help to transpose too.

How to use:

The red dots are "safe" notes to use in the key of the song you are playing in. Major scales can be used in most songs with a majority of major chords, Pentatonic and pent minor often work over minor key. Blues scales work over almost anything - especially I, IV, V pattern rock and blues. Start with Major and Blues if you never tried solos before.

The glowing red dots, are your root note - match that to the key of the song and start your solos there and you should be fine. It'll sound good no matter what red notes you play. To play the whole scale in any key, just start on any glowing red dot, and finish on the next glowing red dot. That's an octave on that scale in that key.

The "First Position" stuff is simply an easy way to play the scale low on the neck with as many open strings as possible. Just play the fret number on the string in order and you have your basic scale. Remember that G=4th string, C=3rd String, E=2nd string, and A=1st string.

Here we go...

AMajorUke.jpg

CMajorUke.jpg

DMajorUke-1.jpg

EMajorUke.jpg

Last edited:
wow, thanks, that had to be a ton of work. I really appreciate that!

these are super.
what a resource!
my only suggestion would be to slap them all into a pdf when you are done for easy transport..

Man, I've got to take a music class cuz I keep seeing these chord charts and have no idea how to use them.

These are scales, not chords - although they are related.

The short answer is "just practice the Major and Blues scales from time to time in a couple of common keys, and you should be able to pull of a passable solo if you have to".

Now a little longer answer...

Chords form the harmonic backbone of a song - chord progressions are arranged in "keys". The key of a song is essentially the group of tones that make it sound "right" - that is to say, harmonically correct (at least to the western ear). As opposed to dissonant and confusing.

Scales like these come in when talking about melody - the "tune" of a song.

So, when you want to play a melody or solo over a chord progression, you simply pick from the notes that make up that key - that matches everything up nicely, and the harmonies just work.

So for example when folks you play with say "lets play blues in A", the chord progression is A7, D7, E7 (more on why that is in another post sometime :p). So you simply play any notes on the blues scale in A, starting with the shiny red dots.

Hope I didn't just make things worse.:D

Thank you for all those. This is very helpful!

great great stuff Grumps...much appreciated. Wish I could "favorite" a thread so I could keep it nearby all the time.

great great stuff Grumps...much appreciated. Wish I could "favorite" a thread so I could keep it nearby all the time.
You can subscribe to a thread using the "Thread tools" at the top of the thread. Then the thread will be listed under "subscribed threads" in you user CP.

Thanks so much Grumpy.

It's people like you that make UU such a great site.

Jack

Thanks, Awesome post! something else to keep me from studying for exams haha :D

wow...thanks grumpy this will definitely help! Now to practice and memorize...

These are great

Thanks very much - VERy helpful

I will second the request for having these in downloadable PDF files!

(hate asking though as so much work went into this already)

Top Bottom