Strings for volume.

pinchmips

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has already been answered, but I haven't found it in a few of the string threads. For a soprano (if it matters), which string choice would provide the most volume?

It will probably depend on the uke as well, but a cheap "Famous" (Kiwaya) brand soprano I got for free has started to scream loudly since I put on Aquilas. If you read around, you will find more experiences like this. I believe some people even stop using them because the sound of a very good uke may come through better with less noisy strings, and it doesn't need the extra volume anyway. But for my cheapo, they work great.

I have a feeling you're going to get a few responses that tell you it's a strange, unpredictable admixture of uke and string-- an alchemy that requires trial and error.

Others will endorse their personal favorites in a heartbeat. Personally, I'm a Worth fan.

Finally, and this is the least likely, but I think the best answer-- which is why I'm posting here in the first place. The best strings for volume are the strings that are attached to a banjolele or, barring that, a resonator uke. You want volume? There's some volume...:D

I have a feeling you're going to get a few responses that tell you it's a strange, unpredictable admixture of uke and string-- an alchemy that requires trial and error.

This is in fact the truth and nothing but the truth. However, as a general rule replacing the factory strings with Aquila Nylguts on 99% of all ukes will make them sound better and produce more volume. As always, YMMV.

i had emailed MGM a similar question for my gf's kala soprano a while back and he recommended Fremont Fluorocarbon strings. they were an improvement on the stock strings in volume and clarity. these are the first strings i've purchased for this soprano so i can't really compare it to anything other than the stock.

maybe you can try one of MGM's 4-pack sampler strings. then decide for yourself which you like best. good luck.

I used to use the Aquila's on my Flea, but eventually swapped them out because they were too loud. On the other hand, the flea tends to be a bit louder than the typical soprano anyways. The Aquilas will probably serve you well.

Have fun!

I've found Aquilas to generally be the loudest string that I've tried...but (to my ears) they're a little harsher. Worths Strongs are pretty loud and have a better, mellower tone (again, to my ears).

A big part of it depends really depends on the uke...if you've got a uke with a thick soundboard or heavy gloss it'll be on the quiet side. Thin soundboards and minimal finish tend to be louder. Also, (typically) laminates aren't as loud as solid woods

I've found Aquilas to generally be the loudest string that I've tried...but (to my ears) they're a little harsher. Worths Strongs are pretty loud and have a better, mellower tone (again, to my ears).

A big part of it depends really depends on the uke...if you've got a uke with a thick soundboard or heavy gloss it'll be on the quiet side. Thin soundboards and minimal finish tend to be louder. Also, (typically) laminates aren't as loud as solid woods
You bring up an interesting point Keonikapila. About the finish, can it really hamper the warmth or sound of a uke? I was considering to have a custom uke built for me. And the high gloss finish looks so amazing, yet I am hesitant to go that route if it may kill the sounds at all....hmmm...what to do? Do any of you others concur with this at all....??

You bring up an interesting point Keonikapila. About the finish, can it really hamper the warmth or sound of a uke? I was considering to have a custom uke built for me. And the high gloss finish looks so amazing, yet I am hesitant to go that route if it may kill the sounds at all....hmmm...what to do? Do any of you others concur with this at all....??

A big part of it depends on the builder and what kind of finish they use. The thicker finish will affect how well the soundboard vibrates, and thus affect the sound. But with a good custom instrument, I wouldn't be too worried about it. There are a lot of great sounding, high-gloss instruments.

The problem is really more apparent with some of the lower-priced ukes, with the real heavy lacquer.

maybe you can try one of MGM's 4-pack sampler strings. then decide for yourself which you like best. good luck.

I've been looking at those for a bit and wondering at the possibilities, but I've got one perhaps kind of dumb question that needs clarifying.

The 4-packs variety of Concert strings MGM's currently offering are all the low G variety. I prefer a high G for my Concert.

So can I go with the Soprano set here because they're long enough to accommodate the scale difference? (I assume so, but it doesn't hurt to ask before I spend the money...)

I'll add my two cents.

I've recently replaced my OEM strings on my Ovation acoustic/electric with some KO'OLAU GOLD stings, and I love them!

Ther sound is much more warm, and the volume is louder and clearer. The difference is so profound that a friend of mine in now also looking to get a set.

I've been looking at those for a bit and wondering at the possibilities, but I've got one perhaps kind of dumb question that needs clarifying.

The 4-packs variety of Concert strings MGM's currently offering are all the low G variety. I prefer a high G for my Concert.

So can I go with the Soprano set here because they're long enough to accommodate the scale difference? (I assume so, but it doesn't hurt to ask before I spend the money...)

Just contact MGM via email or phone, he'll be glad to assemble a sampler pack better suited to your own unique needs, whatever they may be.

I was also under the impression that:

Higher tension strings = more volume??

Anybody can get louder, if that's what you want. Aquila's will usually give you loud, along with a host of other problems, and a few things that'll be missing (like tone, which has already been stated).

If you want to experience things like projection and tone, get better strings (higher tension will usually give more volume and allow a lower action setup, depending on gauge), or more importantly, a better `ukulele.

If you want to increase volume on your current instrument and maintain all the other complexities that you have like tone, projection, sustain, etc, raise the action at the bridge.

Most builders match strings to their `ukulele, or they can.

Just a bump for this topic...

I've been playing my Kamaka with Aquilas (didn't like the way they matched although I like them just fine on my Kanile'a), and now the Savarez Alliance guitar strings. I love the sound quality of the Savarez, but they aren't very loud. I am getting drowned out by everyone else with their Aquilas when I play with people.

Any other suggestions for strings with volume other than Aquilas? I don't really want to raise the action or anything drastic to the uke itself...

Top Bottom