Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: Measuring for fret slots

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Measuring for fret slots

    The fret calculators I can find out there say things like, .842" My ruler doesn't do .842. My calipers do, but only up to six inches. After that, I'm left doing the inches part with my straight edge, and then figuring out the decimals with my calipers. The end result is a fretboard with accurate frets for the first six inches, and then they tend to wander. I know most people use a jig, but you had to measure for that jig first, so I'm wondering what people do in this situation.
    Thanks,
    Matt

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Miller Indiana
    Posts
    126

    Default

    I use this program:

    http://3d2f.com/programs/41-680-fret...download.shtml

    It is written for Windows only. You can chose whatever scale you like and print it to paper. Very fine lines that can be fine tuned to match your printer. My Epson did not need any fine tuning. Set the scale length to 20 and print. Then check with your scale at the 12 fret marking making sure it is exactly 10. This is where the fine tuning comes in handy! Adjust once if needed and you are done.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    West Midlands GB
    Posts
    1,508

    Default

    I use millimetres, calculating my measurements to two decimal places, then use a 12" steel rule (sorry - 30.5 cms!). I see you have already sussed that it is important to measure from the nut, every time. Afterwards, you can measure the gaps fret to fret as a check, before you start cutting.

    It is time consuming, intense work, but I always enjoy it.

    John Colter.

    ps. If I used a computer program to generate the info, I'd have to check it myself, anyway - that's just the way I am. So I do it longhand.
    Last edited by ukantor; 11-24-2009 at 11:44 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Drums, PA
    Posts
    502

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    785

    Default

    You could cut a perfect 6" block of wood and clamp that to the fretboard after your calipers run out of space...

    I use Autocad and print paper templates.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dave g View Post
    You could cut a perfect 6" block of wood and clamp that to the fretboard after your calipers run out of space...

    I use Autocad and print paper templates.
    I actually have Rhino 3D, but have never used it to produce something to scale.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    I like the looks of this, but when it asks for a calculation method, the links in the explanation box are all dead, so I am unsure of what calc method to use, or what numbers to input if I did.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Miller Indiana
    Posts
    126

    Default

    A scan for a Concert scale from the program I posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvzmocha View Post
    I use this program:

    http://3d2f.com/programs/41-680-fret...download.shtml

    It is written for Windows only. You can chose whatever scale you like and print it to paper. Very fine lines that can be fine tuned to match your printer. My Epson did not need any fine tuning. Set the scale length to 20 and print. Then check with your scale at the 12 fret marking making sure it is exactly 10. This is where the fine tuning comes in handy! Adjust once if needed and you are done.
    Thanks, but I'll be danged if I can actually find a working download link.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    1,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by luvzmocha View Post
    A scan for a Concert scale from the program I posted.
    Thanks. I'll see what I can do with that.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •