The Ukulossary

NukeDOC

Retired Mod
Reaction score
im going to make this a sticky since im sure there are people out there shopping for a new ukulele and have no clue what some of these terms are that are being used to describe the instrument for sale.

if you have something to add (like pics of the parts), feel free to and i can add it to the list here on the original post.

ANATOMY
headstock - also: head, peg head. this is the part of the instrument that holds the tuners.
tuners - also: tuning keys, tuning machines. these are the devices used to loosen or tighten the tension on the strings to create the desired tune when played.
neck - the long part. hahaha
fret - wires embedded into the fretboard (see fretboard) running perpendicular to the length of the neck.
fretboard - board that sits on the neck and houses the frets. usually made of a hard wood like rosewood, ebony, or maple.
soundboard - also: top. basically the front of the instrument.
nut - raised section at end of neck and start of headstock which positions the strings at that point. usually made of a special plastic or wood. may even be made of ivory or bone.
saddle - raised section that sits on the bridge that positions strings at that point. usually made of the same material as the nut.
bridge - structure attached to the soundboard that anchors the strings and houses the saddle.
passive pickup - a transducer that allows you to amplify your ukulele by plugging into an external amplifier via a 1/4" jack.
active pickup - like the above, but is powered by an on-board battery that serves as a pre-amp, allowing for more detailed equalizer adjustments
soundhole - where the resonating air comes out of the ukulele and becomes beautiful music in your eardrums. usually cut out of the soundboard, but can be anywhere on the body.
cutaway - where part of the body is "cut off" to allow fingers to reach higher frets.

TECH TERMS
action - refers to the distance the strings are from the fretboard. the actual distance preferred will usually come down to the individual's taste.
intonation - The instrument's ability to accurately produce the proper note at a given fret position.
scale - in reference to the size, it is the distance from the nut to the saddle.
re-entrant tuning - a tuning where the string in the last course (the 4th string in uke's case) is tuned an octave higher than normal. ex. high G tuning (gCEA)

SIZES dimensions are "typical" and can vary slightly from brand to brand.
soprano - 13 inch scale, 21 inches overall length
super soprano - also: long scale soprano. soprano size body, with concert scale neck and fretboard.
concert - 15 inch scale, 23 inches overall length
super concert - concert size body, with tenor scale neck and fretboard.
tenor - usually 17 inch scale, 26 inches overall length. 17-19 frets.
super tenor - same as tenor, but with larger body for deeper, louder tone
baritone - 19 inch scale, 30 inches overall length
super baritone - a guitar hahaha

ok guys thats all for me right now. post up what you know and ill add yours to this list. also, let me know if i got something wrong too! hahaha.

Last edited:
good idea nuke! i like the term "ukulossary". it's ginormously fitting!

some additions for your consideration:

passive pickup: a transducer that allows you to amplify your ukulele by plugging into an external amplifier via a 1/4" jack.

active pickup: like the above, but is powered by an onboard battery that serves as a pre-amp. usually includes volume and tone controls.

okay, while not technically a part:

soundhole: where the resonating air comes out of the ukulele and becomes beautiful music in your eardrums.

Adding
- descriptions of the different sizes and the variations (concert, super-concert)
- type of wood and characteristics
would be helpful.

Since I am always shopping for another one, i am sure i will think of a few more to add.

INTONATION: The isntrument's ability to accurately produce the proper note at a given fret position.
NUT (alt.): The person holding the ukulele.

Nuke, would you be willing to incorporate the info in the reply posts into the first?

Thanks for starting this thread!

i added the sizes to the list. help me out with the characteristics for them though please!

Soprano: 13" scale, 21" overall
Concert: 15" scale, 23" overall
Tenor: 17" scale, 26" overall
Baritone: 19" scale, 30" overall

Overall sizes are 'typical'

'Scale' length is the distance from the nut to the saddle

Soprano: 13" scale, 21" overall
Concert: 15" scale, 23" overall
Tenor: 17" scale, 26" overall
Baritone: 19" scale, 30" overall

Overall sizes are 'typical'

'Scale' length is the distance from the nut to the saddle
thanks mok!

Cutaway: where part of the body is "cut off" to allow fingers to reach higher frets.

How about adding materials descriptions? Like koa, mahogany, mango, etc, and their tonal qualities? Or something like solid, laminate, spruce tops and how they might affect sound. I, myself, don't know too much about these things so I can't offer input on those. And also maybe including Low G and Wound C, seeing as people like to ask about those.

Cutaway: where part of the body is "cut off" to allow fingers to reach higher frets.

How about adding materials descriptions? Like koa, mahogany, mango, etc, and their tonal qualities? Or something like solid, laminate, spruce tops and how they might affect sound. I, myself, don't know too much about these things so I can't offer input on those. And also maybe including Low G and Wound C, seeing as people like to ask about those.

i thought about that but then it gets to the point that you have to explain too much. im basically just keeping this a glossary of terms that one might want to run back to when they see word that goes right over their head. putting woods down is usually better explained through wikipedia. anything more than that would be too subjective and not really along the lines of a "definition".

i will put your definition of cutaway though. thanks for that.

as far as tuning... thats another subject that can have a whole chapter written about. if i were to put hi G tuning and lo G tuning, i would have to include DGBE, and whatever james hill uses, and then youve got open D, and it never ends hahaha.

but would someone like to come up with a general definition of the term "re-entrant tuning"?

but would someone like to come up with a general definition of the term "re-entrant tuning"?

Re-entrant Tuning: a tuning where the pitch of the strings are not in order from lowest to highest.

That's as simple as I can think of it, unless you would actually want to explain the order of the string pitches with actual uke tunings.

How about adding a verbs section.
Here's one to start it off:

To Deach: To be an all around amazing person, who selflessly gives to others.

haha, after seeing the discussion on the other thread i think that might be a good idea lol. and ya, thats true about things being subjective and stuff. never thought about it that way :eek:

fantastic work dude! I second that verb section or it could be a technique section?

words like hammer, pull-off, slide, bend, etc..

I realize those aren't ukesclusive, but we do use em. I think they would help.

How about theory terms? sharp, flat, minor, major, etc..? all these things give us more understanding, therefore making us better players.

sorry to be picky but technically the re-entrant tuning deffiniton is wrong because aren't the strings are in order but the first string is an octave higher than normal

Linear tuning (Low G tuning): A tuning were the strings are tuned from low to high of gcea

re-entrant tuning, (high G tuning): A tuning were the first string is one octave higher than in linear tuning.

sorry to be picky but technically the re-entrant tuning deffiniton is wrong because aren't the strings are in order but the first string is an octave higher than normal

Linear tuning (Low G tuning): A tuning were the strings are tuned from low to high of gcea

re-entrant tuning, (high G tuning): A tuning were the first string is one octave higher than in linear tuning.

yeah i like your definition of re-entrant. its more descriptive... except that it would be the last string or course. not the first hehe. im going to change it now. thanks!

U.A.S n. Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome: syndrome in which ukulele enthusiast has steady desire to acquire new and or used ukuleles at all times of the day. Presently, there is no known cure.

I think this would go under a new section that should be called "Lifestyle". The term "Deach" belongs there too...

Also: To Get Your Jake On v. any uke performance that leaves onlookers in awe. Has been known to prompt the question "Hey, is that a tiny guitar and where do I get one?"

Last edited:
U.A.S n. Ukulele Acquisition Syndrome: syndrome in which ukulele enthusiast has steady desire to acquire new and or used ukuleles at all times of the day. Presently, there is no known cure.

I think this would go under a new section that should be called "Lifestyle". The term "Deach" belongs there too...

Also: To Get Your Jake On v. any uke performance that leaves onlookers in awe. Has been known to prompt the question "Hey, is that a tiny guitar and where do I get one?"

haha so true!
the other day someone asked, "hey! is that a mini guitar?" i answered then they asked "is it a violin??" hahaha
that was a first

Top Bottom