Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Ukulossary

Default Great post!

I got into lutherie to build and repair guitars, but I think ukes are my true calling. And this ukelossery is fantasic for people who don't know much about them. Or guitars, for that matter. Those music store types can be a little "uppity". Another reason to open my own shop! Keep up the good work.

This is a great idea. I'm already learning lots since I always gets the nut and the saddle confused. Thanks!

Not much help here, but I love the idea of having a section on the different woods and their qualities (and similarly, different brands of strings and their qualities). It will help immensely whenever that UAS flares up. And the inclusion of a verb section would be awesome too.

Can there be more elaboration on the term 'action'? Even though it's a personal preference, it would be nice to know what a normal/typical action is, and/or what the qualities of the different distances are, and how it affects the playing.

Thanks again, and sorry about not knowing enough to contribute to this glossary!

I'm a little fuzzy on the term "binding".
    HARMONY MAHOGANY CONCERT KALA KOA CONCERT
    KALA PINEAPPLE PRINT SOPRANO FAKE MARTIN BARITONE

"My people are the people of the dessert", said T.E. Lawrence, picking up his fork.

Fuzzy binding...........hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by cocohonk View Post
    This is a great idea. I'm already learning lots since I always gets the nut and the saddle confused. Thanks!

Not much help here, but I love the idea of having a section on the different woods and their qualities (and similarly, different brands of strings and their qualities). It will help immensely whenever that UAS flares up. And the inclusion of a verb section would be awesome too.
    See this post regarding tonewoods . . .

Quote Originally Posted by cocohonk View Post
    Can there be more elaboration on the term 'action'? Even though it's a personal preference, it would be nice to know what a normal/typical action is, and/or what the qualities of the different distances are, and how it affects the playing.

Thanks again, and sorry about not knowing enough to contribute to this glossary!
    Excerpt from Fret Not Guitar Repair . . .
    Adjust Action (Set-up) The term "action" basically refers to the way an instrument is adjusted and how well it plays. Action adjustments are made to improve the feel of the instrument, decrease pressure on your fingertips which can be severe when the action is too high, avoid buzzing and generally just get the best sound out of an instrument. Most instruments are set-up at the factory with higher action then necessary. High action on a brand new instrument may be the result of settling (all that tension on a newly built instrument is bound to change it's shape a bit), a change in it's environment (factories assemble instruments under closely controlled temperatures and humidity) or simply because many factories agree that it's easier to drop the action than it is to raise it. Raising action can require replacement of the nut and saddle, a more costly undertaking than merely cutting them both lower.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

Could we get definitions in the OP for "sopranino" and "bass ukulele"? I realise that "bass uke" is still a vague and debated concept, but there seem to be several makers (and even Kala these days) making uke-sized instruments with Ashbory-type thick rubbery bass strings. Might be worth at least a mention.

Do we also need to cover things like "6-string" and "8-string" to clarify how doubled courses work (and maybe define courses itself). And maybe something for variants like resonator ukuleles, harp ukuleles, etc?

Aloha,

You might want to check in with the builders too. They have a whole set of other terms regularly used that may be beneficial to add to your list such as...

kerfing
    reverse kerfing
    perfling
    quarter sawn
    rift sawn
    flat sawn

or even terms to describe a certain kind of wood such as....

select wood
    AAA wood
    AAAAA wood or 'master grade'

then there are things like......

spalted or
    quilted or
    waterfall or
    flaming etc...

and so much more. It's a great idea to create a list but i'm sure the guys on the luthiery page would love to chime in as well.

best,
    shawn

http://ukulelefriend.com

This thread does need updating . . . stay tuned.

Nana ka maka; ho`olohe ka pepeiao;
    pa`a ka waha.

Observe with the eyes; listen with the ears; shut the mouth.
    Thus one learns.

This is cool. I suggested this today, before I saw this, but I called it "Ukupedia".

How to feed description? Such as koa, mahogany, mango, etc., and their sound quality? Or something like a solid, laminate, spruce top and how they affect the sound. I do not know these things too hard, so I can not provide these inputs...
    If you care about yours feeet, you should choose true leather womens high heels shoes and those really good.

Thread Information