The Ukulossary

Learned a number of things after going through this thread, although yeah, it does need some updating. :)

I don't think the intonation definition is quite right. Should be something about the accuracy of the relationships between the notes. Accuracy of the notes individually is really not it. Intonation has nothing to do with A440. You can get accurate notes on the crummiest toy instrument.

The glossary is due an update and I was working on an updated version but got side tracked. I'll see if I can find the version I was working on and post it up. I may just have to start from scratch and we'll see where it goes.

Not exactly what sure what "fit" means as in "fit and finish" - another addition for the Ukulossary?

Thanks!

Can someone explain what overtones are, in detail but very simple for me to understand?

Not exactly what sure what "fit" means as in "fit and finish" - another addition for the Ukulossary?

Thanks!
I've included this term in a revamped version of the Ukulossary. And should anyone come up up with additional definitions, more than happy to add it.
Fit & Finish: Jargon/Term regarding attention to detail of product. Fit refers to how well the component parts come together, and finish refers to the completeness or perfection of the work.

Can someone explain what overtones are, in detail but very simple for me to understand?

Another term that will be included in the revamped version. And should anyone come up up with additional definitions, more than happy to add it.
Overtones (or harmonics): The natural parts of any pitch heard when it is sounded. That is to say, that each pitch that we hear contains addition pitches within it that are termed overtones or harmonics. The relative strength or weakness of these overtones determines the tone color or timbre of the pitch. This is why no two instruments sound alike. http://www.music.vt.edu/MUSICDICTIONARY/texto/Overtone.html
http://dictionary.onmusic.org/terms/2459-overtone

Been quiet up till now as I am a newbie. Okay so we are suggesting the naming of the different woods and their tonal qualities?..
Have we got a large enough book to get it all into?
I was actually quite snobby about buying an instrument made of laminate woods and poo poo'd the idea on principal...UNTIL I picked up a Kala Ka MBG no 1402 Baritone uke and played it. In short I walked out of the shop with it. It has an absolutely wonderful deep bass yet crisp top register. The Uke resonates against my body when played and I like that. I will never poo poo laminates again. Different Ukes made from different woods in different sizes will all sound DIFFERENT. You cannot say that a spruce top will sound Blah blah blah in comparison to a Mango top or a Mahogany top as it also very much depends on what the rest of the Uke is made out of. Then to decide from a shop full of them which one sounds " Mellow or whatever" IN COMPARISON TO ANOTHER.
I have picked up beautiful rosewood back and sides Ukes with spruce tops costing many hundreds of pounds and all and different variations of solid woods. I have also picked up and played laminated wood models and some of them have actually sounded BETTER ( IN my view and my tonal taste )
To try to describe what different woods sound like would be a tall order.
To describe a finished Uke of a certain size made of certain woods and played in a certain way would certainly be easier.

Can we have a slang word for the frustration when you want to play the uke but it's half past midnight?

Maybe a few euphemisms as well?
Preloved=used
Rehomed=sold
:)

Top Bottom