Welcome . . .

Hello everyone!

Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to learning a lot from everyone on the UU forum.

Hi Uke community,
In February I purchased a Baritone kk Uke in Honolulu, I play classical guitar, charango and acoustic guitar. I was lucky to find this uke in a reasonable price. Joined this forum to learn more about tips on how to make the baritone kk sound better, hope to find here or someone can guide me or point me to a step protocol to setup, strings and tunings.
Look forward learning and exchanging information.
Please, contact me if you have a guidance doc or other materials regarding baritones.
Thanks for the opportunity to join and learn from this forum.

Hector,
2007-kk baritone
Adamas & 80’s Ovations
Classical and charangos.
Strings

Welcome to UU, Hector.

What kind of sound are you after? Do you want it to sound different from your guitars and charango? Which genres of music do you plan to use it for?

I'm not an expert on baritones, but I'll share my opinion:

I only have a cheap one that probably could improve a bit. However, after nearly a year I've only replaced the G string as the original snapped after only a few weeks of very little play. The original strings were D'Addario EJ87B titanium. I temporarily put on a Brown Worth low G and it's still on there.

I like normal DGBE tuning, but there are many other tunings to try out. Other, more experienced baritone players will have proper suggestions and advice for you.

Thanks for the nice welcome Ms Bean,
Latin jazz and ballads is what I am after. The baritone has a different sound, the box is smaller compared to the classical guitar and wood gives definitely a different tone. I like the sound of normal tuning DGBE and enjoy playing the uke by comparing the sound of the nylon classical. I came across that tenor uke strings have been used on baritones with the normal baritone tuning DGBE (J71 D'Addario Pro-arte -clear nylon- tenor strings) these strings appear not to be longer available by the company. I wonder if anyone on this forum have used tenor strings or any other variation of strings. Any baritone experience players have any suggestions or advice?
Hector

Hey! Not sure if this is where I should be posting this. I am building a solid- body electric uke, and I can't find any pickups anywhere that are built for this purpose and are in my price range. any ideas?

Hello everyone, I'm glad to welcome everyone on the forum about ukulele! I hope for a pleasant conversation!

Hello to all ukulele lovers !!! I am learning to play Arthur on the ukulele.

Hi AnnaHarper, and welcome to UU!
I'm in FL too, a member of the Tampa Bay Ukulele Society. Where in FL are you?
Maybe someday we'll hook up, jam a little....

Hi, I'm Jason from the UK - arriving late in life to learning anything musical, but I have been inspired by a friend's playing one evening after a few G&Ts to have a go. Currently, I'm working through Bernadette's 30 day Ukulele Challenge as a start - "Have You Seen The Rain" has just crashed my progress :). I'm looking forward to getting to know the instrument better, making a tune that sounds like one and learning how to strum a pattern and sing at the same time - how do you do THAT????

Hi, I'm Jason from the UK - arriving late in life to learning anything musical, but I have been inspired by a friend's playing one evening after a few G&Ts to have a go. Currently, I'm working through Bernadette's 30 day Ukulele Challenge as a start - "Have You Seen The Rain" has just crashed my progress :). I'm looking forward to getting to know the instrument better, making a tune that sounds like one and learning how to strum a pattern and sing at the same time - how do you do THAT????

Welcome to UU, Jason!
There are many things to learn, and it doesn't matter if you start as a child or when in retirement. Some things might take more time later in life, but you'll most likely also know what you want to learn. Enjoyment and fulfilment will be important, and those two goals can be achieved even with only two chords (Jambalaya, Achy Breaky Heart, etc).
After the 30 Day Uke Challenge you can stick with Bernadette and try her 30 Day Uke Course. This will be a big step up, but some people really want to learn fingerpicking patterns. I disagree with many learners, who would agree that you need to play for a year or so before getting into fingerpicking. Delve into it immediately after you master the most important chords.

There are many other teachers on YouTube. Cynthia Lin, Vasko (from Ukulele CHeats), Ukulele Zen, Matt Dahlberg are my favourites. Listen to Hawaii Music Supply The Ukulele Review Podcast on YouTube to learn about uke history, uke builders, set-up and what not. The journey has many legs...

Hi everyone!

I'm Luca, from Italy.
I've started out as a piano player when I was a kid, began playing classical guitar at 28 and rocked out with an electric guitar at 30.
I also play ocarinas and was now looking at giving an ukulele a shot!

I fingerpick my electric guitars, I just never came to terms with picks so I'm looking forward buying an uke for strumming and fingerpicking as well and I'll be opening a new thread shortly asking for recommendations.

Finally, I love and play all music genres, from classical to metal, although my heart is in the blues and classic rock.
I'm really looking forward seeing how I'll manage to transpose and adapt songs I love to the uke! :D

Hello. Uhm. So i'm still developing an interest in playing the Ukulele. I've been planning to buy one since last month but i dunno how to choose between good/bad sounding Ukuleles. I've been playing the guitar for at least 5years now and Ukuleles are far different from guitars when it comes to tune and stuff so yea. I tried playin' my friend's ukulele before and it's pretty easy actually. Hopefully i'll get tips and stuffs on buying ukes.
I played guitar for about 7 yrs. before I picked up a tenor uke last spring and fell in love. It seemed like I learned to play it overnight and finally got some style going on. I played rhythm guitar like everyone else, no style points there. But I never felt comfortable with a pick in my hand so maybe that’s why the uke is for me. All I did was get a chord chart and let my rhythm hand do what felt natural. After I learned all the basics I went and looked up how a uke should be played because it is different than how we play a guitar and I didn’t get any bad habits. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it won’t replace a rhythm guitar in a bluegrass band. (No low notes) So now I have a guitalele tuned E to e. For the band. Go for it, ukuleles are the bomb!!!! I bought super cheap lunas and I love the tenor. As long as it has Aquila red strings. The guitalele came with a bad neck but what do you expect for a hundred bucks. Gonna buy a good one, but really happy with the tenor Luna. It’s pretty awesome for cheap instrument!

I played guitar for about 7 yrs. before I picked up a tenor uke last spring and fell in love. It seemed like I learned to play it overnight and finally got some style going on. I played rhythm guitar like everyone else, no style points there. But I never felt comfortable with a pick in my hand so maybe that’s why the uke is for me. All I did was get a chord chart and let my rhythm hand do what felt natural. After I learned all the basics I went and looked up how a uke should be played because it is different than how we play a guitar and I didn’t get any bad habits. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it won’t replace a rhythm guitar in a bluegrass band. (No low notes) So now I have a guitalele tuned E to e. For the band. Go for it, ukuleles are the bomb!!!! I bought super cheap lunas and I love the tenor. As long as it has Aquila red strings. The guitalele came with a bad neck but what do you expect for a hundred bucks. Gonna buy a good one, but really happy with the tenor Luna. It’s pretty awesome for cheap instrument!
Welcome!

1oSyQ.gif

On behalf of the Staff and Moderators, we welcome you to 'Ukulele Underground. There is an abundant wealth of information within the forums as well as knowledgeable members willing to assist in your journey to become a better player. We hope all of you find this site beneficial and will continue to be an active participant in our community. Should you require assistance, feel free to contact us via PM and we will get back to you as soon as possible. Again, Welcome!

The UU Staff (Past & Present)
Aldrine Guerrero
Anaka
buddhuu
Fred Miu
Grumpy Coyote
HaileISela
Kanaka916
Melissa82
NukeDoc
Rayan
Seeso
UkuleleHill
Ukulele JJ
wickedwahine11
Hi and thank you for the welcome! SO glad to be here.

Top Bottom