Ron Jon Ukulele? Anybody played one? or other platic uke suggestions?

phanzo

Reaction score
So my first niece was just born about a month and a half ago and my second one is going to be born at the end of January (not from the same mother :rolleyes:) They are both girls and I am going to be pressing music on them a much as possible. I want to get (at least one of them) a cheap "toy" ukulele to have in their room. It will pose as a decoration for a while, I'm sure, but eventually I'd like for them to be able to bang around on it. I also want to have it so that I always have a uke to play for them when I go visit, instead of lugging mine around everywhere.

I found a $15 toy uke on the Ron Jon surfshop website, was wondering if it was playable or not. It seems like exactly what I'm going for but I dont want to spend the $15 on pure crap. If it is playable then that should be all I need. Maybe toss some Aquilas on it and away we go.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody had played around on one of these or if someone that lives near a Ron Jon would be able to swing in and give them a strum. I used to live in Orlando so I would certainly go myself but now that I live in Phoenix, a surf shop is a bit harder to come by and certainly no Ron Jon within a 100 miles :mad: (Though Ron Jon is essentially an over-priced, tourist botique, IMO)

Anyway, here's a link to the website with uke and if you have any other suggestions for ukes in that price range please drop em on me. I think cheap plastic ones would be best since they will eventually go through a "BANGING" stage. Want them to last as long as possible.

Thanks guys!!

And oh yea, check out the ukulele keychains at the bottom of the page...pretty cool. Just may have to order when for myself :cool:

My first ukulele was that Ron Jon one! I grabbed it out of the Ron Jon shop at Cocoa Beach on whim when I was there to just rent a surfboard. By the time the weekend was over, I bought a flea online because I knew how much I would love the instrument :D

Anyway, a while ago I did record a little song on the Ron Jon one if you want to hear it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSb_MXUjq38

My basic verdict is that yeah, it's a toy, the tuners suck, but if you don't mind tightening the tuners and tuning it often, you can get enough out of it that it's enjoyable for sure. When I go to the beach, I always bring it to play on the sand. So for me, worth the 15 bucks easy.

Dude.. Makala Dolphin Bridge ukulele. hands Down the best el-cheapo starter uke out there.

Sure it's more than 15 bucks.. but you want a uke that will not discourage its owner.

Just sayin'

Dude.. Makala Dolphin Bridge ukulele. hands Down the best el-cheapo starter uke out there.

Sure it's more than 15 bucks.. but you want a uke that will not discourage its owner.

Just sayin'

Yea that's what I'm thinkin. Might as well just spend the extra money now instead of having to buy another one later.

Definately agree with JT_Ukes, the makala dolphins are the way to go. If you order from MGM they come set up with aquila's and come in cute colors kids really like. My granddaughter chose the purple, and my grandson the red. They are great playing uke's for the price.

What about looking around for a cheap carnival or tv pal? I saw a youtube comparison of a tv pal and a makala dolphin, and the tv pal sounded incredible! :p

What about looking around for a cheap carnival or tv pal? I saw a youtube comparison of a tv pal and a makala dolphin, and the tv pal sounded incredible! :p

That vid was most likely our own Ukisociety.

I have a Carnival that I bought cheap on ebay. The headstock snapped off as I was cleaning it up for first use. Some superglue fixed it right up, but plastic can become brittle with age, so older plastic ukes may not be the best idea for kids.

And I agree with votes for the Dolphin from MGM.

Top Bottom