Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tips for a cheap ukulele?

I have a Mahalo and it sounded alot better after the strings were changed. I am using Aquila.

the lanikai lt20 seems to consistently do well in user reviews and it is not dear at all.

Quote Originally Posted by emrextreme View Post
    Thank you for the answers. I guess changing the strings is the best way to find out what the problem is but here's another problem. I couldn't find any online store selling ukulele strings in Turkey. They are selling all kind of guitar strings but none of them have strings for ukulele. I'm looking for how to use guitar strings on ukulele now and i can use any help. Thanks in advance.
    Can you order things online?
    It is quite cheap to buy ukulele strings online, since you don't pay much for postage (they just fit in regular letter envelopes).

If you want to use guitar strings, they would have to be nylon strings for classical guitars. You would have to buy a tension guage that is safe and appropriate for the ukulele. See if you can find guitar strings of these measurements:

Diameter:
    0.024 Inch or 0.61mm (A string)
    0.032 Inch or 0.81mm (E string)
    0.034 Inch or 0.86mm (C string)
    0.028 Inch or 0.71mm (G string)

Tension:
    7.6 Lbs or 3.45kg
    7.6 Lbs or 3.45kg
    5.4 Lbs or 2.45kg
    8.2 Lbs or 3.72

(at least these are the numbers on my D'Addario ukulele strings pack).

However, I'm sure any music store that stocks guitar strings would be able to order in some of the major brand ukulele strings, since guitar string companies (like D'Addario) also make nylon ukulele strings (they're the same thing really, just different diameters and tensions).

However, it may be difficult to find Aquilas without ordering online.

Thanks for the great info. I sure can order from online for i've already been doing my shopping that way. I couldn't find the ukulele strings on local sites but maybe i should check for the foreign sites like ebay.co.uk. Can you name some trustful sites that can ship to Turkey? Thanks again for your concern.

Musicguymic's ebay store is usually a top recommended place to shop for all things ukulele
    http://stores.ebay.com/Musicguymics-Room

Thank you. I really appreciated your help.

Well, i finally changed the strings with new ones. I can say that it made a huge difference in sound. Now it has brighter and louder sound. I'm glad i did that. It took two days to stretch the strings completely, though. My fingertips hurt a little bit but totally worth it.

Also i changed the friction keys with the geared ones. Fortunately, i'm not into the vintage look. Now the strings stay in tune perfectly. It was such a struggle with friction keys for sure. Here's the new photos of the uke;

I'm glad these differences worked for you...strings would definitely change sound even intonation!!...friction tuners doesn't work for everyone..i personally think there a better for some ukes but its all about finding what works right!!
    Samantha

Thank you, Samantha. It sure did work for me. I can suggest geared keys to anyone without hesitation. Friction keys can be really pesky every now and then.

Thread Information