Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: curse of ukulele

far away from others who play ukulele...it sucks

Default curse of ukulele

Does anybody else have deformed fingernails from playing or is it just me?

I've noticed that my index finger on my right hand is the worst from strumming and picking. Anyone have any ideas what i can do about it?
    Kala KA-MT Solid Curly Mango..(Lola)
    Oscar-Schmidt Spruce top
    (Schmidty)
    "every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end" Semisonic

www.youtube.com/user/glorygrl1997
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...&id=1774390936

"Iway amway ethay ayway, andway ethay uthtray, andway ethay ifelay. Onay oneway omescay otay ethay Atherfay exceptway oughthray emay." Esusjay

Greetings gal, I get that too. I just trim back and keep strumming. You could try a felt pick although judging by the rabble depicted in your youtube clips you might have trouble finding it amidst the chaos Looks like a fun household. cheers fergs

Oh yeah. When my nails start to get too weird I just trim them back and start over. If it bugs you, you might try plastic finger picks.

I remember reading somewhere that clear nail polish helps. I'd never try it though, because my playing isn't nearly good enough to silence the ridicule i'd face for wearing nail polish to play the ukulele.

Fluke concert | Honu traditional tenor (TR-KRGT) | Kala KA-Watermelon | Lanikai spruce top 6 string (O-6) | Mainland mahogany concert-slotted headstock (CMM-CGH) | Stagg electric-gibson style (EUK L-SB)

lol...I have tried nail polish but it's a pain. I am not the type to polish my nails every two days...can't stand the stink...ugh. My fingernail is actually curving up at the edge...this is a new developement. Every time I cut them back they get shorter and shorter...pretty soon i won't have a nail at all...i should post a photo

Does anyone here play with false nails? I have thought about putting one on just my index finger...
    Last edited by ukulelegal; 12-03-2009 at 05:22 AM.
    Oscar-Schmidt Spruce top
    (Schmidty)

"Iway amway ethay ayway, andway ethay uthtray, andway ethay ifelay. Onay oneway omescay otay ethay Atherfay exceptway oughthray emay." Esusjay

I used to worry and think that I wouldn't be able to play as well when they got trashed. Now, I just clip 'em back and adjust until they grow out a bit. Works out fine. My only worry now is that I'm going to wear right through the nail surface. Anyone done that?

lol, ferg-they were my nieces and nephews, they went home. I have tried felt picks, I don't like them because you can't finger pick and strum at the same time.

I have also tried finger picks and can't stand the feel of them. I'm picky pun intended

"My only worry now is that I'm going to wear right through the nail surface." uke5417

this is one of my concerns also....I have cut my nail back and it keeps separating from the nail bed...i'm afraid to cut it back more because where does it end?
    Oscar-Schmidt Spruce top
    (Schmidty)

Quote Originally Posted by uke5417 View Post
    I used to worry and think that I wouldn't be able to play as well when they got trashed. Now, I just clip 'em back and adjust until they grow out a bit. Works out fine. My only worry now is that I'm going to wear right through the nail surface. Anyone done that?
    You can do this with a steel C string pretty easy. I know I have come close.

I just broke down and got nail hardener and use it every Sunday, it lasts about a week. I use silk and CA glue to reinforce when necessary.

I also think that you're better off filing and shaping rather than cutting. It just seems to me to help keep the nail integrity better. I have much fewer problems since I switched to just filing every couple days before I practice to keep the status quo.

If I get a burr or snag, I make sure to take care of it as soon as feasible so it doesn't turn into a break.

I'll use hardener once a week as well. I've taken the time to grow out and maintain a nail to play, I'm going to do what I need to then. I'm confident enough that I really don't care what other people think if a few of my fingernails are a bit shiny. That's no a problem. Trying to play with a broken nail, would be.

i keep my nails very short so i don't have that problem. however, the skin on my thumb, pointer and middle fingers are all dry and thrashed from strumming. i wash my hands a lot and have to remember to use moisturizer every now and then.

Thread Information