Your Virgin Song

I played "5 foot two" at a church picnic two years ago and a version of "Silent Night" mashed up with "Amazing Grace" two nights ago at our Christmas Karaoke. (Skipped the second verse of Silent Night and sang the words to Amazing Grace" to the tune of Silent Night.)

Great thing about church folks. They didn't worry about the two flubbed chords.

"What Makes a Man" -Dallas Green/City of Colour
(obviously without all of the picking...) lol

my first song

Mine was, "The whole world in his hands." I got home from buying my first uke, the flea, and with my Jumping Jim's Beginner's book. Read along with anticipation. Played my first chord, a C Chord on the uke ... played the song ... it was pure elation and bliss. I still play the song but trying different strumming patterns (i.e. chunking, chang-lang-a lang, calypso Etc). Coolness!!! Thanks for starting the thread.

Hmm....I'm not sure which one would count.

The first partial song I learned was I'm Yours, the first full song I learned was Secret Agent Man.

Take Me Out To The Ball Game

song? no song yet just trying to learn some chords, strumming techniques etc......how i've been at this a week. how long before you guys learned your 1st song? i don't mean to get off subject but maybe you can add to your answer?

I remember it like it was yesterday. The second I got that p.o.s. in the mail, I tuned it up (as best I could, anyway) and started playing "Imagine" by John Lennon.

Simple Songs

song? no song yet just trying to learn some chords, strumming techniques etc......how i've been at this a week. how long before you guys learned your 1st song? i don't mean to get off subject but maybe you can add to your answer?

Keep going, and welcome to Uke playing!

We gotta get you playing a song! :) Learn a C (0001) and a G7 (00212) and you're playing IT AIN'T GONNA RAIN NO MORE, BUFFALO GALS, and I'm sure others.

Learn a song--I think you'll be hooked for good!

sdreefsurf,
Start with something simple, something familiar before targeting the more popular songs. That way you won't get discouraged easily. Keep it up yeah? Stay the course.

Last edited:
pdx, and fio.....trust me i'm already hooked and there's no give up in this guy! fio, you're in sd huh? me too! thanks all!

Somewhere over the rainbow. On baritone :]

Welcome to the world of ukes!!! :D I started out with a simple set of chords C(0003), then switch to Am (2000), then switch to F (2010), then switch to G7 (0212) then switch back to C (0003). That is a song called "Surf". That was the first song I did!! :)
Keep up the practice and you too will get better!! :cool:

ok, i actually learned that series of chords using the d-d-u-u-d but i didn't realize it was song! haha really?

Last edited:
Top Bottom