Zebrawood ukulele!

ukeCANjam

Reaction score
If you live in in the So-Cal area, you might be in luck.

I found a post on craigslist regarding alot of cheap ukuleles! :drool:

One of them particularly caught my eye, a zebrawood ukulele! Tenor Size!

I quickly emailed him and the seller informed me that it is indeed a Leolani Shiny Zebrawood Tenor. I have not heard of this ukulele before, is it good? The only place that I know sells them is amazon. It sure is pretty and rare, I think AJ Rafael plays one of them. Any more info on this ukulele?

:iwant:

Here's the post:

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/msg/1497138164.html

Unfortunately, I don't think I have my dad's permission or the cash to buy it, so someone jump at this amazing deal! :wallbash:

I think I have seen the Leolani ukes at the Aloha Swap meet in Oahu. I was on vacation, and I am not positive, but they were made of interesting woods, and were in the Kala/ Ohana price range. I didn't seriously play one though, since I was shopping for a Kanile'a.

I would say a tenor sized Zebrawood uke is pretty unusual. I would want to hear it first. That wood type could be a bit harsh at that size. But the Zebrawood is a very beautiful and dramatic wood grain.

Maybe someone in Hawaii would have more info on these.

–Lori

I think I have seen the Leolani ukes at the Aloha Swap meet in Oahu. I was on vacation, and I am not positive, but they were made of interesting woods, and were in the Kala/ Ohana price range. I didn't seriously play one though, since I was shopping for a Kanile'a.

I would say a tenor sized Zebrawood uke is pretty unusual. I would want to hear it first. That wood type could be a bit harsh at that size. But the Zebrawood is a very beautiful and dramatic wood grain.

Maybe someone in Hawaii would have more info on these.

–Lori

Thank you Lori!

Yeah, I read about some people debating on whether Ohana should make a solid zebrawood tenor, since they already have a soprano. It wouldn't sound as well. But I've noticed AJ Rafael uses a zebrawood?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSAMEMX_oAg

Leolani doesn't really have that much of a reputation, so I'm not sure to trust them. Do you think that it is worth it? Or save up for a better "K" brand uke?

ukeCANjam
I can fully relate to your interest in the Zebrawood uke. I have the soprano Ohana, after all. I am attracted to the interesting woodgrains like Mango, Spalted Maple, Zebrawood, and Koa. It depends on your budget, of course. And how many ukuleles you already have. I needed to try out the different sizes before buying my Kanile'a. I learned a lot from those earlier, less expensive ukuleles. Initially, I thought I would be a "tenor only" person, having come from a guitar background. But several sopranos charmed me enough to give them a try, and now a couple of concerts too. I find I like all the sizes now. Anyway, your journey will vary. I am glad I got all those exotic wood ukes. They are so interesting to own and each sounds different from the others. I would be hard pressed to give any of them up right now.

If I were to do it again, and already knew what size I wanted, I would save up for a Hawaiian "K" uke, and not get as many of the lower end ones. If I needed a lower cost uke, to try out different sizes, I would get a Mainland. The wood might not be that exotic, but the ukes sound great, and are a bargin. If you get the opportunity, play the uke first before buying. Some individual ukes just sound better than their brothers.

Just my :2cents: –Lori

Last edited:
Top Bottom