New MP3 of "Ghost of Who I Was" Original

GrumpyCoyote

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Nothing special, but I've been monkeying around with my Zoom, MP3s, and reverb nation...

The Ghost of Who I Was

All of it done by me through a mic (except cello) while sitting on the couch...

Rhythm Guitar: Martin Size 5
Rhythm Uke: Pono PTME
Lead Uke: Mainland Classic Mahogany Tenor
Lead Vox: Unfortunately, just me
Digital Cello: Garageband Synth
All Mic Input: Zoom H4N
Editing & Processing: Garageband

Not where I want it (I'm a crappy sound engineer), but it beats the snot out of my webcam methods... I am kind of proud of the lead improv though - not something I do often.

Let me know what ya'll think.

A gold star for anyone who can call out the time of the hidden cat meow during the lead... the little bastard. No way I was re-recording that, and it's oddly in key.

Last edited:
Can't wait to get home and give it a listen.

You previously had a Blue Snowball, right? Any reason for moving to the Zoom?
I like the blue - and they are a great company, but the Zoom had it on three points.

1) Versatility - the Zoom also lets me record without the laptop if I need to. With a big enough card I can record a whole live show just by dropping the thing on a chair and hitting record. I can also directly record from a mixing board line-out too - something the blue just cant do.

2) Stereo - That x pattern stereo pair of mics makes a huge difference. The sound quality is also a few notches better in my opinion. Subjective, but I'm essentially using it as my sudio set-up and it's got the chops to just pull that off.

3) Reliability - the Blue USB mic was great quality, but the drivers were a mess, and both Win7 and Mac would drop the thing without warning... very frustrating. Suddeny losing the input on a track was devistating enough for me just to stop using it altogether eventually.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I appreciate it. Now that I have listened to your song, I can certainly hear the difference in the mic.

Now about your recording. Good lord, man. The cello really set it off nicely. Such a haunting song. I loved the original video and you made it even better for the recording!

Grumpy, it sounds fantastic. I mean, yeah it sounds professional and all that - but it's great that I'm not even thinking about that.

Instead I'm allowed to listen to the music. Tone, mood, lyrics. You went for something specific here - that windswept desert plain - and nailed it.

Great production on an excellent song.

Sounds great Grumpy. I have not seen the video of your original recording. Will have to do that. I'm doing some cleanup in the studio and my office this evening and have been enjoying this tune. Replaying it a number of times. Sounds great and I don't necessarily think it needs any additonal vocals. I think you have captured a great feeling in the song just as it is. Great stuff.

Wow...I mean just, wow! I'm not nearly as articulate as Seeso in describing the qualities of this recording...but you have definitely taken it to a new level. This one's going straight to the iPod.

Top Bottom