Can someone help?

pie_man_25

Reaction score
yeah I just cut the wood for my soundboard with a bandsaw, to about 1/4", the finish is ROUGH, not to mention the burn marks and the very wavy cut I made, I must say, I should have used a hand saw, I have lots of experience with it and could have made a much straighter cut, but the bandsaw was much easier still. anyway, I'm kinda finding it difficult to make some bench stops small enough for me to use my Jack plane, and the belt sander doesn't have a driving belt for the belt sander, which neither I nor my father haven't been able to find for the past couple years. So I'm kinda stuck in the stream in the middle of nowhere, are there any methods I can use that don't require either of these tools? ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

thickness sanding help

My hubbys says if you send him your top, sides, and back pieces he will thickness sand them for you for twenty bucks. You'd pay shipping both ways.

He also says at 1/4 inch, you have at least two sets there...anyway, if interested you can email him at steve@curlykoa.com.

What kind of wood are you using? Good luck with your project.

I've been using double sided tape and a smoothing plane--it takes forever, but since I don't have a drum sander or even a planer it works. My jack plane seemed to tear out on koa, but was great on mahogany...

Steve

yeah I just cut the wood for my soundboard with a bandsaw, to about 1/4", the finish is ROUGH, not to mention the burn marks and the very wavy cut I made, I must say, I should have used a hand saw, I have lots of experience with it and could have made a much straighter cut, but the bandsaw was much easier still. anyway, I'm kinda finding it difficult to make some bench stops small enough for me to use my Jack plane, and the belt sander doesn't have a driving belt for the belt sander, which neither I nor my father haven't been able to find for the past couple years. So I'm kinda stuck in the stream in the middle of nowhere, are there any methods I can use that don't require either of these tools? ANY INPUT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Try some double backed carpet tape to secure the plates to your work bench. Cleats, 1/8" of less can also be nailed to your work surface with small brads, then have at it with your hand plane.
In the future it would be wise to find a cabinet shop in your area that can precisely cut your boards for just a few bucks, and they can also roll it through their sander. You've just gotten your first lesson in why it's sometimes better to let someone else do some of the precision work if you don't have the proper tools.
At this point it might be worth it to send to Wendy (above) and let them take care of it, especially if the wood is worth anything.
EDIT: Whoops, Steve jumped in and already answered this while I was typing.

I don't have a decent plane but I've had good results with carpet tape & a router sled for thicknessing. This setup's kind of limited in the width you can do but handles uke top halves no problem.

sled.jpg

Thanks a lot for all you help, guys, especially curlykoa, the top, however is just some flatsawn spruce 2x4 that was formerly used in our house, it was warped and dirty, so one day I decided to plane it down, andI liked how it looked, so it was a quick decision, and the thing didn't cost anything, not to mention the fact that there's still plenty leftover, so I think I'll do this one myself. If I screw up, no big deal, if I don't, my uke's got a soundboard.

ps. curlykoa, I'm kinda making one for some chick, and that one I want done well because there's complicated work in there, so I'll e-mail him for that one.

Top Bottom