Ukulele Underground United for the Duchenne Foundation

seeso

Super Duper Moderator (Retired)
Reaction score
Idea Inception:

Remember that thread I made a while back asking for suggestions on how we could contribute to the Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy Foundation's presence at the Cairns Australia Ukulele Festival?

Well, there were some great suggestions in that thread. After thinking about what would be the best way to contribute, I've decided on two projects.

First, I'd like to do a "sequel" of sorts to our "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" tribute. This one will be done in the same vein. Any and all members are invited to contribute. More on that at a later date.

Our second contribution will be in the form of a compilation CD. This CD will be filled with original songs from UU members. All proceeds will go to the foundation.

A CD is a great option because it can continue to be sold at future events. Deb, the foundation director, expressed desire to also send the CD's out to other chapters in other countries to be offered for sale in their areas of the world. The CD may also be offered for sale as a digital download on iTunes.

Logistics:

The main obstacle that we had to overcome was the cost of duplication. I am extremely happy to announce that the foundation has agreed to take care of all duplication costs. All we have to do is get them a master.

Again, any and all UU members are invited to contribute. If you don't write songs, you can still contribute in some way. Our CD will need a title and artwork. All aspects of the CD should be created by UU members.

To help make decisions on the title, artwork, and songs (and anything else that comes up), I have asked some members to be part of a panel. These people are:

buddhuu
deach
hoosierhiver
Lisaxy424
RevWill
sukie
Ukulele JJ

I will also serve on this panel. Panel members do not vote on their own submissions.

All individual songs and artwork would remain the property of the individual artists, while the foundation would have rights to the compilation only. The foundation would not have the ability to create any derivative works based on the songs or distribute them in any way other than as part of the compilation. If your song is chosen to be a part of the compilation, you will be sent a contract. UU member Baumer has graciously offered to draft these contracts pro bono.

Deadlines:

Our timeline isn't terrible, but it's not too lenient either.

Our master needs to be done and out the door by May 1st, 2010. This gives the foundation one month to make duplicates.

UPDATE: The final song list will be announced on March 16th, 2010. This gives the contributing artists one and a half months to record their song as professionally as possible.

Please submit your entries no later than 5PM CST, March 15th.

The artwork and title should be finalized by May 1st, 2010, and will be sent over to the foundation at the same time as the audio master.

Selection Process:

Post your submissions as replies in this thread. You may submit your songs as videos or mp3's. I suggest box.net for your mp3 hosting needs.

Title ideas and artwork submissions will also be posted as replies in this thread.

Inspiration:

Ideally, I would like the songs on this compilation to be inspired by the foundation in some way. This is not a requirement, it is only a preference.

To help stoke the creative fires, here are some words from Deborah Robins, the director of the Duchenne Foundation:

If you were looking for inspiration I offer a common saying of many of our boys: *"here for a good time not a long time". *It was so sad when I was reading Doug the second Twilight book (teenage fever at the moment) and Bell is very much heartbroken when her *lover leaves her to the point of physical chest pain etc. and it is a repeated description in the book. Doug said to me, "you're going to hurt like that when I die arent' you"? *It was one of those few times where there is an opportunity for an honest conversation to help us both, *but I couldn't bear it so I led the conversation to the difference between romantic love and other forms of love, which I regret now. I hope I assured him at some level that I will hurt very much so that he knows I love him.

Captain Google:

As my final thoughts on this project for now, let's not forget who is ultimately responsible for this project. Vincent Daniel Rooney, aka "Captain Google," is the main reason for this opportunity. Without CG, none of this would be possible. Think about him as you contribute to this project.

When people ask me what UU is all about, I point them to the tribute video we made for Vincent. Let's keep the fire burning, and Captain Google's memory alive.

That's all I have to say about this project for now, save to say that I am excited, honored, and proud to be able to contribute to this cause.

Here is the Duchenne Foundation site:
http://www.parentproject.org.au/html/s01_home/home.asp

Here's an Illustrator file of the UU logo for use in your art submissions:

http://www.box.net/shared/nzltdzc70n

Last edited:
This post will be updated with submissions as they come in.

SONGS:

ukecantdothat - "Back To The Mainland"
HaileISela - "I'll take you with me (on my trip)"
lernon - "Slow Winds"
cMejilla - "Äventyr"
DeG - "Summer Camp"
RevWill - "Feverish Angel"
CountryMouse - "You'll Always Be By My Side"
WS64 - "The DMD-Song"
Seaman Dan - "Torres Straight Hula"
krabbers - "This Message"
tsud123 - "Thank You For Loving Me"
Dominator - "Rise and Shine"
facemeltingukulele - "Song Still Remains"
casetone2514 - "Walk Away"
wadejohnston - "Time"
Ukulele Jim - "The Ocean Song"
russ_buss - "The Sky is Blue"
Ukester Brown - "Slivery Moon (You know it too)"
Shas - "Spend the Day"
raintokeep - "Smoke Signals"
HaileISela - "Sunbeams Pouring Down My Skin"
Danielle Ate the Sandwich - "Bribes"
ukulelezo - "Long after Goodbye"
Manitoba Hal - "Call of Angels"
Cathy AJ Hardy - "Love Shines"
schuermurrman - "Only One"
schuermurrman - "Rest this Heart"
Victoria Vox - "Colorful Heart"
thejumpingflea - "Untitled"
seeso - "Push On Through"
Aldrine Guerrero - "Spring Rain"
Bosko and Honey - "Road Trip"
Craig Robertson - "Whatever's at Hand"
Baron K - "Captain, My Captain"

ARTWORK:

smithpaul60 - http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr83/smithpaul60/UUbonzai.jpg
Gaby - http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...nefit-Duchenne-Foundation&p=311890#post311890
Gaby - http://www.box.net/shared/umuq6xfdn9
smithpaul60 - http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/rr83/smithpaul60/cd11.jpg

TITLES:

Ukulelegal - Ukulele Underground United...a CD to Benefit the Duchenne Foundation.
smithpaul60 - Strength From Afar (how you too can change the world)
smithpaul60 - Hope and Help (from Ukulele Underground)
smithpaul60 - 4 strings for hope
Gaby - Chasing Rainbows

Last edited:
This is awesome! I'll just have to dig up that old book.........

Soooo, we'd basically post a "rough draft" so to speak, the songs will be chosen, then we record it......That's what I'm understanding.

This is awesome! I'll just have to dig up that old book.........

Soooo, we'd basically post a "rough draft" so to speak, the songs will be chosen, then we record it......That's what I'm understanding.

Yup, that's it. Your rough draft can be as polished as you like. It can be studio quality, or it can be recorded through the mic on your computer.

If your submission is chosen, then you must record it as professionally as possible.

Thanks for your interest! I hope you write something! BTW, your song doesn't need to have lyrics. It can be an instrumental.

Great idea, Seeso! I would love to donate "Back To The Mainland" to this worthy cause. Here's the link to a rough mix of the demo. The finished version is basically what you hear, but it now has real bass on it. All it really needs at this point is a final mix and mastering.

Good luck with the project!

Reloaded video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZqO756Mk8

Last edited:
So this does not have to be a video correct? I can do a audio. Also must a be an original correct?

Thanks very much for getting us into shape for these projects, Seeso. As always, we'd be lost without you.

This is why I love UU. The love and the family vibe actually manifests itself in results that everyone can see and hear and share. Judging by the comments that were left on the YT video we did for Vince, the music made by this community can really move people. Heck, even the fact that we do it moves people. That still kind of overwhelms me a little.

If we can contribute just a little bit simply by doing what we love doing, then the more of it we do the better for everyone! :)

As always, I'm grateful for the chance to be a part of it. :shaka:

Seeso, is it just one submission per member? If we have two or three songs can we post them all?

Er... I don't even have one yet, but I just wondered... :D

So this does not have to be a video correct? I can do a audio. Also must a be an original correct?

Yes, you are correct on both questions.

Seeso, is it just one submission per member? If we have two or three songs can we post them all?

Er... I don't even have one yet, but I just wondered... :D

There is no limit to the number of submissions each member can make.

This is wonderful. I'll try to come up with something appropriate. If you feel that any of my old songs are worth using, please allow me to offer them to the cause now.

These are two wonderful ideas! I'd love to be part of the video.

Even if I were able to write a song good enough for the CD, I don't have the equipment to record it properly.

I can't wait to see what folks come up with! :)

CountryMouse

well I had a song I was working on, maybe I'll finish it

If it's going to be the same feel as the Captain Google collab, it'll fit right in

Ukulele Underground United...a CD to Benefit the Duchenne Foundation.

This is wonderful. I'll try to come up with something appropriate. If you feel that any of my old songs are worth using, please allow me to offer them to the cause now.

Alan, thanks for the consideration and your offer! I think you have a lot of songs that would be appropriate, but I'd love to hear something specific to the CD. It would be an honor to have you on it.

What about public domain compositions?

Public domain is fine, but I don't want there to be too many public domain works on the CD. Keep that in mind when you submit.

These are two wonderful ideas! I'd love to be part of the video.

Even if I were able to write a song good enough for the CD, I don't have the equipment to record it properly.

I can't wait to see what folks come up with! :)

CountryMouse

Your videos have some pretty clean audio. Why don't you go ahead and submit something and we'll see what we can do? We can always cross that bridge when we come to it. I'd love to have you on the CD.

My goal now is to write a track for this CD. I will do my best!

This is too cool of a thing. This shows just what UU is all about!

Matt, you must write a track! It would be great to have you on this CD.

well I had a song I was working on, maybe I'll finish it

If it's going to be the same feel as the Captain Google collab, it'll fit right in

Right on, man! Do it up and send it in!

Ukulele Underground United...a CD to Benefit the Duchenne Foundation.

Great title idea, Jodi! I'll add it to the second post. Thanks!

Your videos have some pretty clean audio. Why don't you go ahead and submit something and we'll see what we can do? We can always cross that bridge when we come to it. I'd love to have you on the CD.

Seeso: Thanks so much! Of course right now I am totally drawing a blank. I have that one video up on YouTube that I did as a general comfort song that is for anyone going through something difficult; but it promises things will be better...and I don't know if that's always the case with MD.

I need to research and think on it more.

CountryMouse

UPDATE: I had to move the final deadline up by one month. May 1st is the new deadline for our final master.

Top Bottom