Sound problems, YouTube, compression

CountryMouse

Reaction score
If I make a video on my Canon camera, import it into Windows Movie Maker, and save it, I usually try to have it larger (weight-wise), so that it will be better quality...at least that's my reasoning. But how much more does YouTube compress it?

I had a problem with one video because I did the audio track in Audacity. I saved that as a .wav, then imported it into WMM, and added it to the video I had. After I got everything the way I wanted it in WMM and saved it, it was fine. The sound was fine. I uploaded it to YouTube and suddenly there was noise on the audio track. What happened? Did YouTube do some kind of further compression?

I just made a video today that I haven't uploaded yet for fear the sound quality will get degraded by YouTube. I did the video and primary audio on my Canon camera; I did a harmony vocal with Audacity. The finished video sounds fine on my computer. It's about 50 mb. Should I have made this a smaller file? Will YouTube compress it again, after I already have? How should I be doing this so my sound won't be ruined again?

Thanks!

CountryMouse, who would like to get this video up on her channel within the next couple days or so

All my videos have Youtube noise in it.
YouTube messes the sound up all the time, but they change their algorhithms from time to time, sometimes it is worse, sometimes it is nearly good. Right now I think we have a "so lala" time.
There is about nothing you can do about it.
I think we with our ukulele videos have bigger problems than other people since our instruments do not provide any basses. I think YT tries to make the basses louder, but since there are none all YT does is to add noise. Funny thing is that in the first minutes after uploading (at the time when you can see the green bar on top saying "video is still processed and video quality can get batter") the sound usually is way better. But with the improved video I always get a "deproved" audio.

All my videos have Youtube noise in it.
YouTube messes the sound up all the time, but they change their algorhithms from time to time, sometimes it is worse, sometimes it is nearly good. Right now I think we have a "so lala" time.
There is about nothing you can do about it.
I think we with our ukulele videos have bigger problems than other people since our instruments do not provide any basses. I think YT tries to make the basses louder, but since there are none all YT does is to add noise. Funny thing is that in the first minutes after uploading (at the time when you can see the green bar on top saying "video is still processed and video quality can get batter") the sound usually is way better. But with the improved video I always get a "deproved" audio.

I absolutely love your videos and find the sound quality always wonderful on yours! But I guess I should just go ahead and upload and not worry?

And I found the same thing happened with my one video it messed up: when I first uploaded it, it was fine! Then when it was all finished processing, that's when the sound problems happened! But when I went to put an annotation in it, THAT video (or version of it) was FINE and had no sound problems. Weird.

Okay, well, I'll just not worry and go ahead and upload. I'm not sure if I'm doing it today or not...waiting for other stuff to happen here at home that would take priority (Cat'r had surgery; waiting to hear he's on the way here).

Thank you very much!

CountryMouse

Top Bottom