Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Yamaha GL-1 Guitalele tuning.

The scale of that thing is 17" from what I've read. That means regular classical guitar strings tuned to ADGCEA should result in roughly the same tension as if they were tuned to EADGBE on a 25" scale. Smart design.
    Kanilea Islander MST-4 in Low-G
    Plays easy. Sounds great. Don't need another ukulele.

I stand corrected. I decided to throw in the specs of a 17" scale guitar into my string tension calculator this evening and these were the results.

A 650mm scale guitar with D'Addario Pro Arte Composites at EADGBE will yield the following tensions.
    • Normal = 84.00 lbs
    • Hard = 90.25 lbs
    • Extra Hard = 93.48 lbs

A 432mm scale guitar (17" like the Guitarlele) with D'Addario Pro Arte Composites at ADGCEA will yield the following tensions. This probably makes sense since the surface area of the bridge is much smaller.
    • Normal = 66.06 lbs
    • Hard = 70.97 lbs
    • Extra Hard = 73.5 lbs

You can also use requinto strings. Also tuned ADGCEA.
    Keep Strummin'

Quote Originally Posted by SailingUke View Post
    You can also use requinto strings. Also tuned ADGCEA.
    Those could be a bit floppy on a 17" scale instrument. A normal requinto is 530mm or 21.9" in scale.

Out of curiosity, I calculated the tension for the Kala Utar which has 20.125" scale. The total tension is high with guitar strings tuned to ADGCEA.
    • Normal = 92.57 lbs <- A little under Extra-Hard tension for a regular nylon-string guitar
    • Hard = 99..46 lbs
    • Extra Hard = 103.41 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Skrik View Post
    He really is fantastic. His Guitalele is not stock, however. He has a preamp on the top rear bout, which means there's a pickup in there somewhere. I remember seeing a video of it being professionally setup, too, which is reasonable, seeing as he has played the Montreaux Jazz Festival.

So be prepared for your new Guitalele to sound a little different from the videos.
    Hard to tell if he's actually plugged in, though. But check out those fingernails! Sure makes for great picking/strumming tone. Sadly, the last time my nails got even remotely that long, I ripped one while trying to start a lawn mower. That was no fun at all. Set back the playing, too. Suburbia can sure be cruel.

--Dave E.
    2000 KoAloha Soprano
    2009 Kamaka 8-String Koa Tenor
    2010 KoAloha Tenor
    2009 Martin D-35
    198? Dobro Steel Guitar
    199? Larravie Acoustic/Electric Bass Guitar

Ceviche is like a Latin American version of Lomi-Lomi salmon--or is it the other way around?

Quote Originally Posted by ceviche View Post
    But check out those fingernails! Sure makes for great picking/strumming tone.
    Those look like acrylic nails.

One of my guitar teachers played jazz fingerstyle on steel-strings and used those kinds of nails. His regular nails couldn't take the abuse from practice and regular gigging. I think he told me that he went to a salon once a month to get a new set glued on and shaped.

You can use just regular classical strings for the Yammie GL-1. I do own 2 and you really have to try them before you buy it, bevause there's definitely inconsistency in the production. I'm living in Montreal, Canada so I'm lucj enough to have a whole bunch to try before buying it...and they sound and plsy different just like any mass production product.

But for the money, it's really good.....but not as much as a Koaloha D-VI or Kanile'a GL6 which is amaaaaaazing for the size!!!!

thanks
    http://soundcloud.com/baouke/ : ukulele mixed with some electro-ambient lap steel music.....

http://www.youtube.com/user/baouke : anything about ukulele, lap slide ukulele, dulcimer, shahi baaja or mountain dulcimer

i recall seeing Aquila strings for Guitalele somewhere..

Quote Originally Posted by fumanshu View Post
    I'm living in Montreal, Canada so I'm lucj enough to have a whole bunch to try before buying it...and they sound and plsy different just like any mass production product.
    I'm thinking one of those might make a good travel guitar. Let me know if you ever plan to sell yours.

Quote Originally Posted by kissing View Post
    i recall seeing Aquila strings for Guitalele somewhere..
    I would be very interested in a set, but I don't believe Aquila makes a set.
    I asked Daniel Ho what he uses on his D_VI and he told me he makes a set from GCEA (low G) and Requinto (5 & 6).
    I have used a complete requinto set with success, but prefer the feel and sound of the Aquillas.
    The last set I put on my D-VI were Aquillas normal tension classical guitar, the jury is still out, but I believe they work well.
    I also like the fact that I can buy sets of the bass (wound) strings since they seem to wear at the frets and need replacing well befor the plain strings.
    Keep Strummin'

Thread Information