Your Hardest Chord

Being a complete beginner I don't know a whole heap of chords yet, but I have to agree that D is a nuisance for me. I too have pudgy sausages so really struggle to get them all in there. Not even sure its physically possible for me at the minute!

Try insted to bar the strings at the second fret then put your pinky at the fifth fret 1st string (A string)

Hardest Chord

FM7

From "I'll See You in My Dreams" Joe Brown Version.

It's a killer for me.

Try insted to bar the strings at the second fret then put your pinky at the fifth fret 1st string (A string)

That works OK for me, but it always makes getting my fingers back to the G chord that almost always follows the D (in the key of D anyway) difficult, so I usually just tough out the regular D fingering hoping that practice will make it better. I guess there is no free lunch.

Hey thanks for the tip Doctroid and molokinirum, I'll give that a try.
I'll keep trying the standard D as well as I don't have much experience yet, so I may just need to try harder. Or go on a diet!

That works OK for me, but it always makes getting my fingers back to the G chord that almost always follows the D (in the key of D anyway) difficult, so I usually just tough out the regular D fingering hoping that practice will make it better. I guess there is no free lunch.

If you use a barre for your G chord, you will be able to switch faster between the barred D(2225) and the G. Use your index finger to barre strings 1-3, then add your second finger on the second string, 3rd fret for (0232).

–Lori

Last edited:
For E7, do you mean 1202? I actually find that pretty easy. Unlike E and Bb.
Yup. The styles of music I enjoy have next to no 7 chords, so when it comes time to do that chord I can't get there quick enough, the open version anyway. I use 4445.

This one on a version of "Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" I'm practicing: B 7+9

It's 5323: made even harder as the next chord is 3323 and that pinky just doesn't work very well yet.

My group guys laugh when I try making any chord that involves barring and reaching over, such as Bb7 (2322) or Bm (4222). I just have trouble getting my fingers to flew that way. So I fake it or pick songs that bypass that type of shape.

Having found the hardest chord to play as a starter guitarist,48 years ago
the F chord:surprise surprise,the same shape comes up on C tuned Ukulele
as Bb.Loads of people complain about how hard it is,but after guitar,it's a
piece of cake! On ukulele I (still) find the dreaded E to be the nastiest to
finger quickly and cleanly! I can do it,but in many songs tend to use E7 or
Em7 instead,especially if it's only for one or two beats!

Aloha Miso Happy,
What song is that from??? you could barr 4th fret then two fives with middle and and ring finger on the 6th fret on the last one..
And the japanese charaters below? Kanji?????
"Keep on vibrating them strings" Uke On!!!
MM Stan.....
Aloha CTurner,
That 5323 is a doozie...in a chord progression

Last edited:
Hardest chord for me?

Anything that's not a C, A (Maj, min and 7), F, G (and G7)... *grin*

But I'm getting there. the B's suck for me, as does Em (though that's getting better.)

Aloha Pdxuke,
It's MM Stan again....Just wanted to add, If you're having problems
with particlar chord, go to other songs with easier chords until
you develop finger strength and finger and wrist flexability.
And no "pun" intended don't fret over it!!! revisit it when you get better....
Keep on vibrating them strings!!! Uke On!!

Jeez. I was ready with my E answer...until you guys threw out all those chords up the neck a bit. So now my answer is E, and all the chords mentioned like Am7, etc.

I see a lot of people have trouble with the Bb- it is funny, but that was one of the first "harder" chord I tackled. I just sat down and worked on it over and over and over, slow then faster. I really like the sound of that chord when it comes around and am glad I put the time in. I just can't get myself to do that for the E. Dunno why.

I had trouble with Em for a long time. Not the chord shape really, but getting to it, and back out, smoothly. I am feeling more confident lately though. I'd echo what someone else said- the more I play, even just playing chords I really know, and working on changes, some picking, scales, and everything else, I am finding new chords, songs, strums, come so much faster and easier now. Turns out the practice works. I also find taht I have started to lighten up on my death grip I had on the neck. That opens up a world of chords!

Just to reiterate Rogue Wave's post...

I played for about three hours tonight, just letting my brain wander, concentrating when I had to, but... like... just ENJOYING the fact that I was making music.
Me. Actually MAKING music and not just singing along. The feeling was amazing.

Anyway, Em? She's mine now. I got her and I got her good. "Over the Rainbow"? Nailed it.

So, tonight? I got a new chord down. One that was a pain.

Practice works.

Just remember to remember how amazing it is that you're ACTUALLY MAKING MUSIC! It's a wonderful feeling.

Bb for sure. I know that I should stop avoiding it. It shows up all the time in songs I want to play. I try to work on it every time I pick up my uke, but it's still frustrating me.

That's my next hurdle, Ricksan. I might try tonight.

Then it's on to getting my finger to consistently barre all four strings, every time.

Top Bottom