Buying my first "proper" uke

Harry R

Reaction score
For six years I've had a yellow Mahalo ukulele. As wonderful and reliable as it is, I'm going to invest in a more expensive, nicer sounding one. My budget is around £100.
What makes of ukulele are best?
(I'm looking for a SOPRANO uke by the way)

Check out this Social Group Discussion on uke dealers in the UK. It lists a few shops where an ukulele can be purchased.

I've seen alot of good reports for Brüko ukuleles in the U.K.
Check the reviews and posts.

Shipping and import fees may limit you from buying in the USA, based on you budget.

Although you'll pay additional for shipping, I still think MGM would be the best value for your money regardless of what uke you get :)

He sets up the ukulele so that it is in its best playing condition and upgrades the strings to Aquilas :)

So my suggestion is to take a look at his eBay store and find the uke that best fits your needs and budget :)
It will be a phenomenal upgrade from your Mahalo (it sure was in my case!)

They're also subject to some kind of import tax so that needs to be taken into consideration. I think Ken mentioned you'll luck out sometimes but that tax will add considerably to the cost.

£100 should be below the Customs Duty Infliction Point (CDIP). I think it's around £180, but that's off the top of my head, so you should check with Revenue and Customs.

I got positively roasted on a "cheap" digital camera I imported from the states a few years ago.

If at all possible, go to a local music store and try them out in person. :music: You will know when you find the one that feels and sounds right.

I have had great luck with Mainland, Kala, and Ohana brands. I haven't tried the Brüko though since they are a little harder to find in the USA. They look pretty nice though, and many people seem to like them.

–Lori

Top Bottom