First Trailer of the upcoming remake of KARATE KID

Awww. It's not the same!!! This better not be another one of those failed remakes. Jackie Chan is starting to be more commercial after doing things like Medallion and The Tuxedo. I miss his classics like Rumble in the Bronx. I wanna see how good of a Mr. Miyagi he is.

I feel like...there was absolutely no need to touch Karate Kid. It's kind of like if they remade the Goonies. Oh God I hope they don't remake the Goonies!!!

Yeah not to sure they needed to remake it. Is it really a remake or just another volume? I know there were 3 with Daniel son, then the next with Hillary Swank. Now Jaydon Smith.

yea sorry but im not thrilled at all about this movie..jackie chan as mr miyagi and wil smith's son as daniel...just doesnt feel right...it's like dwayne "the rock" johnson doing disney movies.. thats just my opinion

Is nothing sacred in Hollywood anymore? I see they are remaking Slap Shot as well; can't anyone write an original script now a days?

Edit: Secondly, why are they calling this "The Karate Kid", clearly this is Kung Fu. Ralph Machio is spinning in his grave, and he's not even dead yet. :(

Last edited:
can't anyone write an original script now a days?

Its not that there are no new scripts, its that people don;t go out to see them... or they don't get any advertising time. Its our own fault as consumers for not actively seeking fresh original material. We could support the independent artists instead of the Hollywood blockbuster of the week.

Anyhoot, Slapshot huh? Sweet! I wonder who's gonna play the Hanson Brothers!!

know what, instead of remaking classics with the potential of killing them, how about they remake North Shore and make it funnier, or this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Mkl9rtttog and well... make it funnier

Is nothing sacred in Hollywood anymore? I see they are remaking Slap Shot as well; can't anyone write an original script now a days?

Edit: Secondly, why are they calling this "The Karate Kid", clearly this is Kung Fu. Ralph Machio is spinning in his grave, and he's not even dead yet. :(

its alot like tom cruise being the "last samurai", or ziyi zhang being the main character in "memoirs of a geisha"

I wouldn't be too concerned. I love Jackie Chan, I even watched a lot (if not all) of his random funny movies... And I'm looking forward to this. they will not be able to harm the original movie. it's just gonna be a new take on that story.

OMG.. I just watched the trailer and it already screams "unrealistic". Why is he learning karate, a linear Japanese martial art, in CHINA? Why not kung fu? He'll get his arse kicked for sure by all the kung fu kids. And if he doesn't, then that's just plain unrealistic.

And why didn't they just call this The Next Next Karate Kid, or the Karate Kid 5 (or whatever number they're on.)

OMG.. I just watched the trailer and it already screams "unrealistic". Why is he learning karate, a linear Japanese martial art, in CHINA? Why not kung fu? He'll get his arse kicked for sure by all the kung fu kids. And if he doesn't, then that's just plain unrealistic.

And why didn't they just call this The Next Next Karate Kid, or the Karate Kid 5 (or whatever number they're on.)

Okay, I found more info on wikipedia:

Unlike the original 1984 movie, The Karate Kid, the 2010 remake does not feature the modern interpretation of karate, which is from Okinawa. Despite its title, the new film focuses on a boy learning kung fu in China. Chan has told interviewers that film cast members have been referring to the movie as The Kung Fu Kid and believes the film will only be called Karate Kid in America, and Kung Fu Kid in Asia.

So I guess it makes sense now why it is in China. But I still have a problem with the name - karate is NOT kung fu. They are just propogating bad information. It's bad enough that people still think all martial arts are the same. Funny its only going to be called that in America. Keeping Americans stoopid for the sake of a ticket sale...

Hollywood... Keeping Americans ignorant for the sake of profit.

I'll wait for the DVD, then only when it's marked down.
I think the Jackie Chan benefit will be a bit of that really cool acrobatic chop-socky Jackie Chan stuff, and that might be cool, but otherwise....mehh.

If they needed to remake a Ralph Macchio flick, they should have redone Crossroads.

Top Bottom