$89 Lanikai to $189 Mainland

ak_uke

Reaction score
The more I research I do the higher I seem to be getting in price range. I had some nice Kala Soprano's picked out but now I'm thinking I need to go solid wood. (Maybe due to reading the "koolauukulele" website).

So this begs the question, will I be as happy with a Kala KA-C ($119.95 w/ case) from MGM as I would with a Solid Mahogany Concert ($189.50) from Mainland?

I should stop reading the forums and just play something! LOL

- Steve

I own a Mainland mahogany concert and couldn't be happier. To answer your question...the Kala KA-C is a great uke, but now that the thought has been planted I think you would end up getting the Mainland eventually. So using this logic...by buying the Mainland now, you just saved yourself $119.95 + shipping.

I don't own a Mainland. (Yet.) I own Ohanas which some say, are made in the same factory.

But I can almost assure you of this: based on what I've heard on these boards, if you did NOT like your Mainland, you'd have no trouble selling it. None. Heck, I might even buy it from you!:music:

Kala All Wood

Here's another thought.

Kala makes a solid wood mahogany soprano. MGM has them here.

The price of $189 includes a case. You'll need to factor that cost in with Mainland.

MGM told me these all mahogany Kalas have the feel of an old Martin: mellow, ez to play. When I sample a Kala it will be one of these. :2cents:

Sold!

I figured MGM would eventually get my business. Solid wood and the case... a good deal for a beginner like me.

Thanks for the help Thom.

I have a Mainland Concert and love it ...
...but the Ukes I've ordered from MGM arrived with really low actions (per my request). I think it makes playing much easier for beginners. I lowered the action on my Mainland myself, but used my MGM ukes as a reference.

I could not be more in the same boat as you but just a little farther out from shore. I bought a Lanikai Soprano Oct 09 as a starter Uku. I did not know if I would like it so I didn't want to layout 2 much money. Well as the story goes, I loved it and started reading up on an upgrade after about 1 1/2 months. I was all over the map doing research. Money is the biggest factor as it is with most people. I realized I wanted a Solid wood Uku. Then I identified I wanted Mahogany. Then I found UU and everyone was so helpful and I heard about Mainland Uku's and Mike from Mainland. I will tell you that you will not find 1 negative thing said about Mainland Ukulele's them selves, the customer Service at Mainland or Mike who is on UU. I plan on ordering mine this week finally after very extensive research. The question is your budget and at that for the Money you are not going to do better than Mainland from what I have read. that is why I am buying 1. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me anything about my research.

Top Bottom