Song Help Request (Bullet For My Valentine)

4an1

Reaction score
so does any one know how to play there songs with a ukulele?

if so can you give me the chords

yea but this song is played in drop c on a guitar that would be CGCFAD, any i deals on how to play DROP C songs on a ukulele?

I don't think you understand... a G on any instrument in any tuning is the same as a G on any other instrument in any tuning. If the change in tuning changes the chord than it's not the same chord. For example 0232 in C tuning is a G, but if you were in tuned up a whole step to D tuning it would be an A. It's not quite the same in guitar because you can still form the chord shape well enough with a dropped string and it will sound right, with ukulele if you drop a string it ends up being a completely different chord.

lol you lost me there, so i need to tunn the ukulele different to play drop c songs

lol you lost me there, so i need to tunn the ukulele different to play drop c songs

quite the opposite, you don't need to tune it differently at all, keep the tuning the same, just play the chords listed

(if you wanna skip a lot of reading into music theory you can just click on the chord link right here
http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songartist/Bullet+For+My+Valentine/index.html and pick the songs that have the blue word CHORDS on them)

*hillbilly mechanic voice* well there's your problem right there...
heh, that stuffs not really chords in the strict sense, playing just the chords would be a tab like this one
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.guitaretab.com/b/bullet-for-my-valentine/138590.html
The stuff that actually has the picking in it (whenever things are spelled out in numbers) take a lot of work to get to ukulele. The problem stems mostly from that the ukulele has only 4 strings and I believe fewer frets. That translates to the uke's range not being a great as the range of notes you can get out a guitar. There's two ways to remedy that, one is that you try and transpose all of the notes picked on the guitar to ukulele notes.

Like with chords, a G note on an uke is the same as a G note on a guitar is the same as a G note on a flute. The difficulty lies in transcribing in a way that you can get the same basic sound without have to skip up or down 12 notes at a time (what is normally referred to as different octaves) to hit a note. An example would be that in that song there's a 20 on the guitar's G string, the 20th fret on a g string is an E, there's a number of ways to play an E on a uke like just hitting the E string, or the 8th fret on the A chord, etc. etc. you just have to keep in mind that every fret represent whats referred to as a semi-tone, which means switching up from say an A to a fret higher produces a Bb and one fret higher is a B and so on (just keep in mind that F and C don't have flats). The problem arises when you're comparing one to the other as one E can be a whole lot lower or higher than other E's. When you have a song and have to switch to a note that's a lot higher or lower than it originally was it doesn't sound right even if it's the same note. So that 20th fret E can be played as an open E string, but if it's not following the context of the song it's going to sound off.
an example would be that part of the song that plays 19-0-20 on the same string. you could play the Eb (the 19) as the third fret on the C string, and you could play the E (the 20th fret note) as a open E string, but the 0 is going to be the trouble because if you want a note that has 19 or 20 frets lower than those two notes, well it doesn't exist.
The second method of playing those songs would work everytime, but requires a lot more work on learning how to do it. It's referred to as just playing the chords. A lot of times you'll be able to find chords for more popular songs, example being this collection of Bullet for My Valentine songs
http://www.chordie.com/song.php/songartist/Bullet+For+My+Valentine/index.html
the problem arises when you want to play a song that doesn't have the chords fully available. When that happens you either gotta give up or try to find the chords for yourself. The issue here is that chords are real darn hard to just pick out of the air if you haven't been doing it for awhile. The first part of this is finding what key the song is (the key is basically a set of rules that a song goes by that say what flats and sharps you can play) To do this the easiest approach is to find the last note and 99/100 thats the key. So if a song ends on a G it's in the key of G. In some cases, like the song you linked, it's not that obvious because of things like more than one note being there or musicians just trying to be artsey. If thats the case you have to train your ear to know what a resolution chord/note sounds like which is basically the chord where you would play it and if you let it hang it would sound like the end of the song. Once you've found out what key it is in, the best thing to do is to use the circle of fifths, which is this guy right here
UkuleleCircleofFifths.jpg

You find the big letter that corresponds with your key. Once you've done that you need to take a look at the letters surrounding it, like if you found out that the song was in the key of G, you'd find the G on the chart and see it's surrounded by the big C, the big D, than the stuff inside being G, G7, and E minor. Most of the time that's all the chords thats going to be in that song. You can go farther away from the letter of the original key, but after that it's hard to get it to sound right. Once you find out what chords will most likely show up you need to find the chord progression of the song. This part is hard since it requires just singing the song over some trial and error chords. When you're trying that out, you'll probably already have a built in sense of when a chord fits and when it doesn't and moreover you'll be able to tell when the chord is supposed to change. On the bright side it tends to be that songs only have a couple repeating patterns of chords. Plenty of songs out there are actually only comprised of 2 or 3 chords in one progression such as
www.guitaretab.com/m/moldy-peaches/81299.html
but keep in mind many times there's more than one progression in a song, the changes usually occur in these spots (listed in order of likelyhood of change) Chorus [the part that generally repeats and has the words everyone can remember], the bridge [generally near the end of a song and is a variation on the theme], intro, outro [the opposite of an introduction]. Learning how to find the chords to a song will help out a lot with playing some of the more obscure music, and helps you to become a better player with a better trained ear.

Last edited:
wow thats a lot to take in, you hosting any classes lol

Top Bottom