Progression issues

Dralisk

Reaction score
Hey, after buying a £15 Mahalo uke one drunken night after watching a Kate Miuchi scrubs episode, i've done quite well i think. I know all the major chords, can do quite a few minor chords, and even the odd 7th! For xmas i got myself a nice solid top uke, but im having trouble progressing. I know a few riffs, like Island in the Sun, SOTR, Save Tonight (eagle eye cherry), and so on, but im a little lost in what i should be doing/learning.

I tried learning a few xmas carols, but either couldnt work out the stum pattern/couldnt do the chords. And i cant think of what songs i want to learn, i think im a bit beyond the 3 chord wonder types, but im struggling to find an intermediate level song for my taste.

Any suggestions or links to other posts would be much appriciated getting me past my uke block =]

Thanks for reading!

I kind of came to this point back last April, and just wasn't connecting with the songs I was finding and then trying to learn on various uke web sites. In the end I just followed a couple of bands I really like, got to know their songs, riffs, nuances, found the chord diagrams and tabs, and then worked it all out on uke. Not everything works, but its been fun, as I found that when I really like and know a song, I have a bigger incentive to nail it on my uke, and sing it well too. Maybe that might be a way forward for you too. Worth a try.

Find a local uke club, or a tutor. The problem with learning in a piecemeal style is you tend to get a bit of an ADHD effect going. We all reach plateaus of ability and interest, it's soldiering through those plateaus that makes the difference.

Check out the youtube channel "musicteacher2009" for a start, chordie.com is a great resource, ukulele-tabs.com etc etc

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?23942-Can-t-work-out-strumming-patterns

And one of the most important threads here (a.k.a. bookmark this!):
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?15464-Ukulele-Resources-(Updated)

There are a few good books like "Learn to Play Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele" that will keep you busy for a while.
If you've mastered these techniques along with everything tought around here (all uke minutes and lessons) you'll be able to reach the level where you can play "freely" and everything.
I'm ukulista since december 2009 and the progress in these 12 month has been unbelievable (my opinion) but the best thing was really mastering the fingerstyle.
Now i can transcribe every simple melodie to a solo arrangement - thats the biggest motivation
If i only discovered the uke 15 years ago.,,,

Top Bottom