Anyone use fake nails?

I'm a chronic nail biter, not to the point of chewing them back to the nail beds but I absent-mindedly keep them neatly trimmed. My flatmate is a 'nail technician' so I let her have at it one night. After filing them back to a level where there was a good balance between playability and just generally being able to do other things comfortably* I realised that they were only 1-2mm longer than the usual length of my nails. They also felt odd, but then again it was the first time I'd ever had fakes so I guess you get used to it. So the conclusion for nail biters like me: Grow your nails out ever-so-slightly more and exercise some restraint, or just gnaw a bit more on your other hand.

* I honestly have no idea how those women with the massive long fake nails can get by... touch typing would be a nightmare. It's certainly not an attractive look... so it's a lose/lose on form and function...

I've been biting my nails for a long time. Terrible habit but so far I haven't had too much success stopping. Anyway I never gave it much thought. I don't have any trouble strumming or fingerpicking. In both cases I guess i just use my fingertips because my nails are almost always really really short.

I don't know what to say when people start talking about attack and stuff. Sounds like maybe just a different attitude than I have. I just play for fun and can get as much volume as I need so I'm happy. If there's some tonal quality I'm missing by not using fingernails it's never really bothered me. Even if I didn't bite my nails I could never grow them out to the nasty vampire claws I see on classical guitarists and some ukers. I love playing uke but...yuk. Not to say my own nail biting habit doesn't have it's yuk-ness but what can i say I'm an addict? ;)

Chris

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping I can revive it just long enough to get a little help.

I have a problem with my nails splitting or tearing, particularly my index finger. It's quite frustrating particularly because I'm doing more fingerpicking now than ever, and I lose ALL my tonal quality when my nail goes.

So I'm considering getting over myself enough to go to a nail salon and get some nails that will last a while.

So the real question is about the best SHAPE for the nails.

I've done some research on this in the past for guitar and seen some suggested shapes for the nails for the best tone, but I've always had a hard time shaping my middle finger in a way that I don't get the scraping noise.

I'd love for someone to point me toward a diagram of good fingernail shape for fingerpicking ukes for the best tone so that if I DO go do the acrylic nail thing, it's done right in terms of why I'm actually doing it.

Thanks!

Bob

Bob, nails don't need to be very long to work well for fingerpicking, just enough to be able to pluck the strings. If I let my nails get too long, they tend to get caught on things and break, so I try to keep them pretty short.

There's a product called onymyrrhe that a lot of classical guitarists swear by for strengthening nails. I haven't tried it.

^You might also want to try Sally Hansen's nail strengthener, I believe I got the "Diamond Strength" one and it works really well! My nails tend to be really soft and the top layer tends to peel off, but I managed to grow them out quite nicely.

As for the fake nail idea, I've thought about it, but I also play piano (and cello, but I don't think that would affect it much on my right hand) and they would get in my way.

I've been playing just over a year now, and experimented with all kinds of lengths and yes, they don't have to be too long to work, but even just a couple of millimeters past my finger, and they start to crack on the edges and then it's just a matter of time before they tear.

After posting yesterday, I did see some nail strengthening solutions out there that I may give a try before doing the acrylic thing.

Thanks for your responses.

Aloha Citrus,
I know what you mean by the sticking on the upstroke with finger picks..not for me too.....Actually I heard that those glue on nails are
not health for your nail making them soft and thin. the nails can't breathe when you glue on something. Talk to someone who has fake nails
or go to a nail shop and ask them. I think another soulation would be those brush on nail hardeners at the drugs store or vitamin as mentioned
above. I guess the best is try and not to bite them and keep them short enough so that there is less chance of breakage. Good luck on this one!
Anyways "Keep on vibrating those Strings" Uke or Banjo on!!!

three fake nails on top of each other and stuck with superglue is the favour of an old band mate - I just use the plastic ones, but sand them down so they play nicely.

Top Bottom