Just ordered Peghed tuners

paraclete

Reaction score
Totally excited to try out the pegheds. For those who don't know, they are geared tuners that look like old ebony pegs. In fact, they are the tuners on the new Collings archtop.

Anyone else switched out their friction tuners for these? They are going on the Halekoa, and I'm hoping that will put an end to all the friction peg frustrations.

I've got 3 ukes with PegHeds. They work great. I feel that they are the best compromise between geared and friction tuners. I think you'll be happy with them.

I went to the peghed website and they don't list ukulele. Which size do you use? Will you have to modify the hole to fit them?
About how much does the set of 4 go for? Who sells them?
Thanks!

FleaMarketMusic is selling them for about $65 per set.

Don't you have to re drill the holes for those to work? I have had a couple of ukes with them and they are really easy to use, let us know how they work out.

I wish they made them out of real wood. They work very well, but they don't feel quite as high quality as they are because they're made of a hard plastic with a visible seam. :( But they are a great solution for folks who like the look of old friction pegs but want something they can count on.

I love Pegheds. They are light and work like a dream. I also think they have that vintage kind of look which is great on a lot of instruments.

If your interested in actual peg heads, you can find some decent priced ebony violin tuners at Metroplitan Music Co.

Yikes, I just looked up the price on them...
...I wish they were (a lot) cheaper.
I won't be putting them on an Ohana any time soon!

Yikes, I just looked up the price on them...
...I wish they were (a lot) cheaper.
I won't be putting them on an Ohana any time soon!

Yeah, no kidding! I had a hard time finding the uke size... didn't think to look at Flea Market Music, so I paid like $80 for 4. But I needed strings for 4 other instruments, so it was worth it, free shipping and all. Plus mine are going on a nice custom uke, so it's a good investment.

*sigh*
Pegheds don't quite fit the pre-existing tuner holes... holes are just slightly too big. Any way to make it work? Are there pegheds that are just slightly wider but not longer?

Otherwise I guess we'll have to cope with the friction tuners.

You might contact Dave Means (Glyph ukulele) he has lots of experience with them and would be able to tell you what you need to know in a snap.

Collings uses them and I liked them when I played the UC1.

Brian Burns is a primary distributor for Pegheds. You can order them here: http://www.planetarypegs.com

Looks like Brian Burns no longer distributes them as according to his website:

"We are no longer selling Peghed products (Planetary Pegs)."

So... its back to http://www.pegheds.com

I've bought a set from another UU member that I think I am going to have a luthier put on my Gstring. The reason that I am going to have a luthier do it is the holes on my Gstring are also too large. I believe that the best answer in this instance will be for the luthier to first fill the holes w/a rosewood or similar dowel (the headstock on the uke is pretty koa but the rosewood might add a nice accent around the head of the Peghed. From what I would guess, my luthier would first fill the existing holes the dowel & then drill/ream out to the correct size for the Pegheds.

Chuck Herrin the creator of the Pegheds also offers installation services if you ship or bring you instrument to his shop in North Carolina.

I think Elderly stocks them.

Looks like Brian Burns no longer distributes them as according to his website:

"We are no longer selling Peghed products (Planetary Pegs)."

So... its back to http://www.pegheds.com

I've bought a set from another UU member that I think I am going to have a luthier put on my Gstring. The reason that I am going to have a luthier do it is the holes on my Gstring are also too large. I believe that the best answer in this instance will be for the luthier to first fill the holes w/a rosewood or similar dowel (the headstock on the uke is pretty koa but the rosewood might add a nice accent around the head of the Peghed. From what I would guess, my luthier would first fill the existing holes the dowel & then drill/ream out to the correct size for the Pegheds.

Chuck Herrin the creator of the Pegheds also offers installation services if you ship or bring you instrument to his shop in North Carolina.

*sigh*
Pegheds don't quite fit the pre-existing tuner holes... holes are just slightly too big. Any way to make it work? Are there pegheds that are just slightly wider but not longer? Otherwise I guess we'll have to cope with the friction tuners.

So, contact the maker at http://www.pegheds.com/ - they make an 8mm (the ones you have are probably 7mm) OR you can find hardwood dowels that fit the existing holes; glue them in & redrill/ream the hole out for the Pegheds you have. That is what I intend to do w/the set I want to put on my Gstring as they are larger as well.

Top Bottom