Yo, from Hawaii.

The Gunrunner Rimbaud

Reaction score
Kailua to be exact. Just starting up as an uke player. I took it as an elementary student and hated it so much I cut the strings off mine when my parents weren't looking just so they'd take me outta lessons.

Yeah, I was that kinda kid.

Anyways, I'm in my 30s now and developed a late blooming interest in playing music. So why the ukulele? Well, I work near the Waimanalo Nuts and Ukulele Store (yes, they stock mostly nuts and ukuleles, which actually makes sense given the context), and last month I was seized by the sudden compulsion to go and buy one. I figured it would make a good New Year's resolution to learn to play music, so on January 4th, I went out and bought a Kala tenor uke (Ka-TEM model).

Since then, I've been practicing a couple hours everyday. I ain't very good or making much progress, but it's pretty damn fun. Right now I'm currently practicing to play "In 5 years time". At the rate I'm going, it's gonna take that long for me to get it down!

But hey, it's the journey, not the destination, right? Besides, that's what I'm here for, to learn and make the road less bumpy.

So, nice to meet y'all.

Yo welcome to the underground!

Hello and welcome to UU! It's never to late to began a new journey. I hope that you find the 'ukulele more satisfying this go round. Have fun!

Aloha and welcome to UU! I am also in my 30's and I just started learning and playing the 'ukulele a little over a year ago. Its never too late to begin a journey with music especially the 'ukulele which is a humble instrument. So, you live in Kailua? I live in 'Ewa Beach.

Yo, you're right in the middle of ukuleleland. You've probably heard that instrument played your whole life. I went the same route, played it when I was very young, then dropped it, then picked it up again in my later years. Welcome to UU brah.

Welcome to UU and welcome back to the Uku. Enjoy your journey.

Welcome to the Underground. Enjoy the journey.

Welcome to UU. Auuuuriiiiittttte. Another UU member to join us on our regional get togethers. Keep tuned. In fact, follow @aldrine or @dinouu on twitter for any future get togethers here on oahu!

Aloha and welcome to UU!! Glad you have finally seen the light and now play the uke!!!!

Hello,

I live near you. Surf has been amazing. I played my uke yesterday in front of the massive waves at kea. Bay. see you around?

Hello,

I live near you. Surf has been amazing. I played my uke yesterday in front of the massive waves at kea. Bay. see you around?

Maybe. Right now me playing at the beach could be considered a form of cruel and unusual punishment. Heh, never been much of a beach person. I haven't been in the ocean in years, despite living by the beach.

You guys so lucky you get to live in Hawai'i. I have heard of this Kailua. You grad Kailua High?

Goat Island one of my favorite surf breaks, and Pounders my second favorite bodysurf beach after Sandy's. Now you gotta drive far fo' get your prawns and corn. You old enough to remember Jerry's Sweet Shop in Haleiwa? WOW grew up North Shore and never surfed. What did you do growing up?

I started playing the ukulele at 30-something. My neighbor who was 13 at the time started with me. She learned so much faster I really realized that I needed to work a little harder to wire my mind and hands than if I would have started so long ago. I don't know how much my playing is getting better, though it is by increments. What I do notice is that my confidence is growing, not just in 'ukulele but in other parts of my life. Playing and practicing now represent a calming time in my day. No computer, no phone, no apps, no tv, no bills, no conflicts. Nobody told me that about music or I might have started earlier!

Have fun and welcome!

Goat Island one of my favorite surf breaks, and Pounders my second favorite bodysurf beach after Sandy's. Now you gotta drive far fo' get your prawns and corn. You old enough to remember Jerry's Sweet Shop in Haleiwa? WOW grew up North Shore and never surfed. What did you do growing up?

What I did growing up was mostly cut class and head off to town or the barrens around Kahuku Point to do mischevous things better left to the imagination. It was sheer and utter foolishness and moreover a waste of useful time. Much like grad school was later on in life.

Now it's time to fill in the gaps.

I started playing the ukulele at 30-something. My neighbor who was 13 at the time started with me. She learned so much faster I really realized that I needed to work a little harder to wire my mind and hands than if I would have started so long ago. I don't know how much my playing is getting better, though it is by increments. What I do notice is that my confidence is growing, not just in 'ukulele but in other parts of my life. Playing and practicing now represent a calming time in my day. No computer, no phone, no apps, no tv, no bills, no conflicts. Nobody told me that about music or I might have started earlier!

Have fun and welcome!

Darn tootin'. The first thing I do when I get home is bust out the uke and practice for a spell. The only thing better is playing in the yard on a Saturday afternoon.

Have fun and welcome!

I also notice that I am gaining more confidence, not only when I am playing the 'ukulele but when I am doing my homework for school. Yes, I am a college student and picked up and started playing the ukulele a little over a year ago. If I have no homework or free time I usually pick up my 'ukulele and practice. I usually practice 2-3 hours a day.

Top Bottom