Dismantling a Flea or Fluke - Not for the faint of heart!

SweetWaterBlue

Reaction score
I happened across this old web blog today, and found it interesting, for those of you who have ever wanted to hack a Flea or Fluke.

This could be dangerous information in the wrong Flea or Fluke owner's hands, since it tells you how to successfully remove the top and fretboard from a Flea or Fluke. There was a post last year where someone as asking hot to get the get the fretboard off one. It might be handy to know if you want to paint one without having to mess with masking etc. Not that I would ever want to do that to my Flea, although I really like to take things apart. Putting them back together is sometimes more of a problem, especially since I understand they use a secret formula glue!

Anyway, you have been warned, so here is the link:

http://resouke.blogspot.com/2005_05_01_archive.html

You still out there in cyberland Jeremy?

Too bad he didn't post his entire journey in deconstructing/reconstructing his uke. For the curious but lazy, here's all he has to say about the deconstruction process:

"Taking the soundboard and fretboard off of the Fluke was easier than I thought. I used a utility knife to gently loosed the glue on the sides of the soundboard, and I was able to slowly pull the soundboard off. The fretboard came off, nut side first, using a paint scraper. So far, so good. I've always been very good at taking things apart."

Too bad he didn't post his entire journey in deconstructing/reconstructing his uke. For the curious but lazy, here's all he has to say about the deconstruction process:

"Taking the soundboard and fretboard off of the Fluke was easier than I thought. I used a utility knife to gently loosed the glue on the sides of the soundboard, and I was able to slowly pull the soundboard off. The fretboard came off, nut side first, using a paint scraper. So far, so good. I've always been very good at taking things apart."

thanks for summing it up. way to lazy to read all that haha

This is an interesting concept. I am downsizing my uke collection considerably and will likely keep just my Kamaka and Pono. I have a very pretty custom-painted Fluke and I want to keep the painted soundboard so I'd like to frame it and put it on the wall. It would require removing the soundboard though-- I need to get some confidence to do that.

That blog needs pictures!

JJ

This is an interesting concept. I am downsizing my uke collection considerably and will likely keep just my Kamaka and Pono. I have a very pretty custom-painted Fluke and I want to keep the painted soundboard so I'd like to frame it and put it on the wall. It would require removing the soundboard though-- I need to get some confidence to do that.
Don't take it apart , just hang it on the wall just the way it is .

Top Bottom