Filing Fret Tangs

It's definitely the way I tell 'em Chuck. Plus I got a slow processr on my computer and a sticky keyboard

It doesn't help when I know nothing about metal working either!

When do you use a radius Chuck? What radius do you like to use?

Anytime somebody asks for one. Mostly former guitar players who can't imagine playing anything without a radiused fret board. I believe the most common radii for ukes is 12" and 16". I use the latter most of the time.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as "former guitar players"...

There may be recovering guitar players...

Hi, my name is Rick, and I'm a guitaraholic...

Just copied this little jig. It helped tons. Thanks!

Here's a variation on Chuck's theme. This is done on a mill, which has some advantages for exact adjustment, but could also be done on a drill press. The slotted bar is 1/2" wide steel. I was scheming about how to mill a very narrow slot with the bits I had on hand until it occurred to me that a hacksaw might be the easy way. It turns out that a 32 tooth blade is just a bit wider than the fret tang so that worked out well. In answer to the earlier question about curved fret wire, it works fine.

34009366232_35ed044729_z.jpg

34126126596_d678df325f_z.jpg

33355551383_7e9ae7ecae_z.jpg

33355550523_bd9b7371a7_z.jpg

Great jig Chuck. Nice thinking. I have thin kerf and small diameter diamond wheels that will cut metal. If you don't mind, I will copy your jig and do a couple of fretboards. Gary.

Let us know if you come up with a wheel that does a really good job. The little pink Dremel grinder isn't too bad but I'm keeping an eye out for something that would be slicker.

I'm not sure if this is slicker or if you have tried it, but I use a dremel tool in a vise with dremel super thin cut off wheel. I nip back the tang to the desired distance first and then finish off with the cut off wheel and then flatten by grinding the tang flat on the top of the wheel. It is not too aggressive which is good. Drawbacks: It takes a steady hand and a good eye. Also can discolor the fret if it gets too hot. Also slow and tedious. Not ideal but works for me.

Top Bottom