Just noticed a split in the top of my Kala Acacia Tenor!

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
Gah! This week I noticed a split in the top of my Kala Acacia Tenor from the bridge to the edge of the sound hole. It is the joint or seam in the two halves of the top. I stuck a little mirror into the sound hole, and light passes through the gap for a good part of its length. I keep it in it's case with a case humidifier, but it is pretty dry here.
I also discovered that it rattles if you tap the top. That seems "Not Good" to me.
So my options...
There is a guitar maker about 30 miles away who does repairs. Can this be re-attached/re-glued? Or should I contact MGM and see if I can return it (I bought it at the end of October)? Or is there something else that can be done?
Chris

Yeah, Chris - speak to Mike and let him advise you.

How Terrible!
I own the same uke and hope this doesn't become a common problem.
I read a couple posts before buying where people observed that the Kala didn't seem to suffer from splits like other Acacia ukes.
Please post on how it gets handled.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Acacia is a close relative to Koa but it is more prone to humidity than Koa....... I have suffered the heartbreak of acacia too and now opt for solid mahogany, cedar, black poplar or solid polycarb!!!!!!

I'm sure Mike will make right with you

I just looked on mine and there is a brace running perpendicular to where your crack appears to be. I would think that would help prevent such a crack.
Is the brace still attached? I can easily see mine through the sound hole.

Yes, the brace is there. It isn't so much a crack in the wood as a gap in the top seam.

Gah! This week I noticed a split in the top of my Kala Acacia Tenor from the bridge to the edge of the sound hole. It is the joint or seam in the two halves of the top. I stuck a little mirror into the sound hole, and light passes through the gap for a good part of its length. I keep it in it's case with a case humidifier, but it is pretty dry here.
I also discovered that it rattles if you tap the top. That seems "Not Good" to me.
So my options...
There is a guitar maker about 30 miles away who does repairs. Can this be re-attached/re-glued? Or should I contact MGM and see if I can return it (I bought it at the end of October)? Or is there something else that can be done?
Chris

I know exactly how you feel. I noticed a few weeks ago that my Mainland has 2 cracks in it. One along the rope binding and the other on the front and honestly, I don't know if I did it or not. To my knowledge, nothing I have done would've caused that but, who knows. Luckily the clear coat has kept the crack on the front from completely cracking. It still plays and I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Mainland, so I guess it is just an excuse to upgrade :)

It's fixable though, if you let it rest in its case, de-tune the strings and have a luthier repair it. They just take it as everyday stuff in the life of an instrument. :)

Unless you've taken proper care with humidifying and haven't abused it and feel it's a warranty issue.

But that aside, this stuff is fixable.

Last edited:
Chris,

What was the resolution to your problem? Did MGM warranty it? Did you contact Kala regarding this issue?

Your answer(s) might be helpful to those who own this uke?

Thanks...

A Sunday morning bump...

Also, does anyone have any new info regarding the 'loose saddle' issues on the Kala Acacia Tenor (Mods, should I make this question a new thread?...Thanks)

Sorry, I haven't actually done much to resolve it yet. MGM sent me a message asking me to send photos of the crack to his business email, but I have been busy and haven't gotten to it yet.... I stupidly never thought to look into registering it with Kala when I bought it. I am fairly sure it is a humidity issue. I have been meaning to take it to the luthier about 30 miles away and see what he can do about it, especially since I have been thinking about having an undersaddle pickup installed. I don't play the tenor all that much, and so I have been procrastinating and/or busy, lol. I will post here when I get it worked out however!

In case it makes anyone feel better, there was a very good link posted earlier to a YouTube video showing how simple it sometimes is to repair a separated seam on an instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i4wjJv5nkw

Thanks! That was a good video. I might give it a try, or I might not... I have the woodworking skills of an inebriated monkey. But it at least reassures me that the thing CAN be fixed easily by SOMEONE!

Top Bottom