5 chords

Kaneohe til the end

Reaction score
how do you transpose a chord from guitar to uke with a 5 at the end like d5 for example.

D5 is 2255.

but how would you figure it out for other chords, like A5, or G5, etc.

Do you know any theory?

A 5 chord doesn't have a third in it. It only uses two notes, the root and the fifth.

Your normal C chord would have the notes C, E, and G in it, yeah? Counting up from C, we see that the E is the third, and the G is the fifth.

So you eliminate the third and you have just C and G. Those are the two notes you use.

Then you go to your ukulele and find those notes and the easiest way to finger them.

I guess if you don't know theory, I can explain it like this:

A C5 is 0033, right? You can move that shape up and down the neck just like a bar chord. So if you wanted a D5, you just move it up 2 frets. If you want an F5, you move it up 5 frets. For this shape, you kind of have to know the names of the notes on the C string, at least.

This thread becomes a killer piece of study if you combine it with the Major Scales video tutorial. That should really provide you with material to figure out all the power chords you could want, keeping in mind what notes lie where on your fretboard. The chart that comes with the Minor Scales video now at the front page is also pretty handy to figure things out quickly.

And now to learn the above myself as well... thank you seeso for the explanation :music:

just to add to what seeso and hobbit have already explained, a 5 chord on a guitar is normally called a "power chord" and very effective when you're rocking out with the distortion. on your uke, you can probably get a better sound out of bringing that third note back in and thus committing the chord to either a major or minor chord. you'd have to figure out major or minor on your own based on the key of the song. a little theory and practice, and it should be too hard. also, there's a 50/50 chance of getting it right. so try both until it sounds good to you. for example, on that D5 chord, try D and Dm. one's bound to sound better when played with the other chords. good luck!

wow, a whole year of music theory summed up into this one thread. why do i pay to go to college!?!

on your uke, you can probably get a better sound out of bringing that third note back in and thus committing the chord to either a major or minor chord.

I dunno. Just because it's not an actual chord doesn't mean it's not a good sound. I use 5 chords in a couple of my jazzy things. Don't Get Around Much Anymore springs readily to mind.

Rule #1: If it's making the sound you want, you're doing it right.

Haha, I guess on this site you have to be careful what you ask for because you are going to get ALOT more that you asked for... Great job seeso, hobbit, russ...major + karma flowing your way!!

Aw man, gotta spread my reps to more people before your 3 get more from me....:rock:

Last edited:
there are dozens of on-line "music theory" lessons.

Go to this website

Click the drop down menu "Lessons" its very well explained and great flash diagrams (with sound). I did the entire course but I frequently go back and review stuff.... or you can start with "Introduction to Chords".

Top Bottom