Harrisonburg, Virginia?

I'm close to Winchester, a couple hours north of you... but I don't head down that way very often. I don't guess you head up here very often either?

I'll definitely drive down for an event... It's hard to find interest around this part of the world, though.

You're right about that - though the guy who owns Guitar and Amp Center in Harrisonburg has the most impressive collection of vintage ukuleles I have ever scene or heard of. Everything from old vintage Martins (like 5ks) and Kamakas to toy plastic ukuleles. I've never met the owner but the guys who work there are not really into the ukuleles when you try to ask questions about them. Still impressive to see. Next time you drive through on 81 I would stop there and take a look - it's worth it.

He has plastic ukes? It might be worth a trip in and of itself... I'll let you know when I make it.

There oughta be some JMU students around that play the uke. Maybe make a Facebook group for it or something...

If you decide to have a get together let me know. I live in Berryville close to Winchester.

You're pretty close to me... We had one get-together in Charles Town pretty recently, and have been meaning to have another one soon. You could come to that! And I'm usually up for jamming at any time... I'll drive down towards Berryville for a jam.

Just got this message. Guess this forum does not send replies to one's email. I've never "jammed" with anyone. Sounds like fun. I've only been playing for around 7 months but I think I'm doing pretty good and have a decent voice. You can check out the video I made for the eleuke ice cream contest if you like. I'll be sure to check back into this post soon to see if there will be another get together. I hope there will.

I grew up in the 'Burg and never knew what uke-mania lay behind the doors of the Guitar and Amp Center!

*makes note to visit on next trip to the Shenandoah*

Hi VA Ukers! I'm a JMU grad ('78), used to live in Staunton and now live in Maine. I was in the Guitar and Amp Center back around Chistmas '10 and met the owner and got a grand tour of those incredible instruments! Has anyone seen the documentary called, The Mighty Uke? I have become the film's east coast 'ambassador' and want to tour it coupled with uke workshops/strum-ins after viewings. Does anyone think there would be shared interest for seeing the film and getting together to share and learn. I carry a couple of sopranos that are availble to lend to those with interest and no instrument. I'm coming down next week (!) to see if there's interest and will build a tour based on the info I obtain. If there's interest for an impromptu showing, that could be arranged, too. I'm hoping to meet uke players in VA. I hope to hear from any and all with some interest. Thanks, Frets (frets@c8ch.com) Uke on!

Hi! Yes I do know her! I just got this message from you. Turns out I'm in Staunton as I type. I'm trying to put together a VA tour to show the movie, 'The Mighty Uke.' Have you seen it? Do you know if it's been shown in this area before? There is a uke grupe in Richmond interested. So that leads me to Charlottesville, Staunton, and Harrisonburg, places I'm already familiar with. Is there a local group that meets to play uke in H'burg? Thanks for saying hi. I'm enjoying the comraderie amony ukers!
-Frets (aka Charlie)

There is no group here that I know of, but you can count me if you arrange a showing. I haven't seen the movie yet but I would love you to view it.

I live in Front Royal but travel to Hburg all the time for school, about to transfer to JMU and move down. I'd be up for a group meet. I know 2 other ukulele players that are in the valley. I got one started on ukulele in November and she has done rather well.

I bet if you ask the guy who has the giant ukulele collection he'd co-sponsor something in Hburg. Is it the Guitar and Amp Center? I think he might be a JMU grad, too.

Mighty Uke in the Valley?

I stopped in at the Guitar and Amp center last week, but Warren (I think that's his name) wasn't in. I spoke with Bill who is definitely interested in a showing of 'The Mighty Uke.' Sam Ash in Richmond is, too. Now if I can get Mockingbird in Staunton interested we might have a tour! It was good to back in VA in the spring! I hope I can get back before long. Uke on! -Frets in Maine

Let me know when you get to Harrisonburg - we can try to organize a ukulele meet up. I am sure there are other kids at JMU who play. Not too many of us old people in the area who play though.
I live in Front Royal but travel to Hburg all the time for school, about to transfer to JMU and move down. I'd be up for a group meet. I know 2 other ukulele players that are in the valley. I got one started on ukulele in November and she has done rather well.

Top Bottom