Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ukulele Beginners Board

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kauai HI
    Posts
    2,372

    Default Ukulele Beginners Board

    I just opened a new board for all the new ukulele players. Feel free to ask any questions you have here and we'll all do our best to help you on your way.
    Rayan, What you are doing?

    I give up with my PM box, just email ryan(at)ukuleleunderground.com

    YES Mahaloz!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Outside DC
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Great idea! Nice to consolidate all the "what's a good first uke?" questions...

    That said, I really hope people keep as open and accepting as they've been thus far, and there doesn't develop an attitude that certain questions are scoffed at as "beginner's board questions..."

    Uke Talk is still the most-trafficked board, and I'd hate to see those of us with less skill and practice get ghettoized over to the beginner board.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tad View Post
    That said, I really hope people keep as open and accepting as they've been thus far...I'd hate to see those of us with less skill and practice get ghettoized over to the beginner board.
    On the other hand, too much leniency on internet forums tends to result in a lot of first time posters who do not take the time to use the search function or look around the internet and come up with the same questions over and over. In my opinion, any open and tolerant communities profit from regulation, even though that may seem contradictive.

    Regulating levels of information, for instance by putting up a beginner's board, can only be a good thing in the long run. Add to that the fact that, as you mention as well, similar questions will now end up in the same location. Who knows, some new posters in the future may even find their answer before clicking the "New thread" button. How's that for efficiency? Nothing ghetto about it.

    It kind of reminds me of camera forums, where questions about "this brand vs. that brand" or "what lens for walk-around purposes" tend to drive those who have been around for longer than a few weeks, nuts.

    Good call guys, this is my 2 yen, a and on!
    sigs disabled kthxbai

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Outside DC
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UkeNinja View Post
    On the other hand, too much leniency on internet forums tends to result in a lot of first time posters who do not take the time to use the search function or look around the internet and come up with the same questions over and over. In my opinion, any open and tolerant communities profit from regulation, even though that may seem contradictive.

    Regulating levels of information, for instance by putting up a beginner's board, can only be a good thing in the long run. Add to that the fact that, as you mention as well, similar questions will now end up in the same location. Who knows, some new posters in the future may even find their answer before clicking the "New thread" button. How's that for efficiency? Nothing ghetto about it.

    It kind of reminds me of camera forums, where questions about "this brand vs. that brand" or "what lens for walk-around purposes" tend to drive those who have been around for longer than a few weeks, nuts.

    Good call guys, this is my 2 yen, a and on!
    I guess what I mean by "ghettoization" is...

    How long do I have to be playing before I'm allowed to post in "Uke Talk," now?

    When do you get to sit at the big kids' table?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    972

    Default

    (Aw man. Just hit the back button and bye bye with the argument...)

    It appears we have a dialogue going here.

    It is my opinion that a section for first-timer questions such as "didn't look around but what should I buy", "just got my uke yesterday, can't finger the E-chord" and more of the first-post-then-try-again genre, has positive effects as well. Besides being a first stop for new members (referring to the section in a new member's FAQ would be useful), it could be the place for some people to ask what they never dared to because they were afraid of looking stupid. (No reason for that of course in the first place, but as I said before, the tendency to post without doing good research by yourself first is just bad manners, in my not so humble opinion)

    It's not all "beginners stand in the hallway while the hardcore members party inside", think positive. If that doesn't work, strum and try again.

    And then, if the bad vibes you fear do in fact rear their head some time in the future, there is that fantastic crew called the Mod Squad to pull some strings. But I doubt it will ever come that far with this globally oriented, music loving, aloha-flowing-through-your-veins bunch of ukesters.
    sigs disabled kthxbai

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Outside DC
    Posts
    771

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UkeNinja View Post
    (Aw man. Just hit the back button and bye bye with the argument...)

    It appears we have a dialogue going here.

    It is my opinion that a section for first-timer questions such as "didn't look around but what should I buy", "just got my uke yesterday, can't finger the E-chord" and more of the first-post-then-try-again genre, has positive effects as well. Besides being a first stop for new members (referring to the section in a new member's FAQ would be useful), it could be the place for some people to ask what they never dared to because they were afraid of looking stupid. (No reason for that of course in the first place, but as I said before, the tendency to post without doing good research by yourself first is just bad manners, in my not so humble opinion)

    It's not all "beginners stand in the hallway while the hardcore members party inside", think positive. If that doesn't work, strum and try again.

    And then, if the bad vibes you fear do in fact rear their head some time in the future, there is that fantastic crew called the Mod Squad to pull some strings. But I doubt it will ever come that far with this globally oriented, music loving, aloha-flowing-through-your-veins bunch of ukesters.
    (I didn't mean to be argumentative...)

    Actually, what you said in the last two paragraphs is all I was sayin' in the first place. I think we're pretty much in agreement.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    972

    Default

    Not picking a fight here either. Probably just too much healthy rice that needed to digest.
    Sorry, now I will shut up and strum a bit. Uke on, brother (sister?).
    sigs disabled kthxbai

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    29,647

    Default

    Actually as a "noob" I like the idea. I read Uke Talk way too much everyday, but I never get the feeling that I'll be dissed if I ask a stupid question. All you more "mature" players just need to check in to help us get the answers we need.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kauai HI
    Posts
    2,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UkeNinja View Post
    it could be the place for some people to ask what they never dared to because they were afraid of looking stupid.
    That is the main reason for that board. Also I'm hoping that the Uke Beginner section will become a great starting point for resources for beginners.

    I'm actually a uke noob too (I always back up Aldrine on the guitar) so the new board is for me as much as other new ukers.
    Rayan, What you are doing?

    I give up with my PM box, just email ryan(at)ukuleleunderground.com

    YES Mahaloz!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •