I have no idea what to major in at college.

Atomsk

Reaction score
It's in the middle of my second quarter in my second year at my college. In this time I have considered every degree under the sun and have officially moved from Astronomy > Electrical Computer Engineering > English > Physics. I have also talked to Computer Science Engineering, Meteorology, Chemistry, and Philosophy advisers. I have also though about every degree in the college of engineering, anthropology, and geology/volcanology.

I just have interests in many areas and am never satisfied staying in just one for too long because I want to learn more from another. I don't know what I want to do career-wise, probably research and develop new technologies. I'm a complete mess and also might have some cabin fever.

So what has everyone here majored in or wants to major in college and for any grads, what are you doing now?

I definitely feel for you; I'm the same way. I chose English as my major because, at heart, I'm a writer. I could have chosen Journalism, but I stuck with English because it's really broad and you get a pretty decent humanities background (plus history), so I think it works. At the same time, I absolutely love biology and physiology, and in my sophomore year, I discovered my love for anthropology (mostly physical anthropology, but the entire discipline fascinates me). I seriously considered changing my major to pre-law, pre-med, or biology. Now I'm an English major, anthropology minor. My college doesn't offer anthro as a major, so it all works out there for me.

Now for you, you seem to bounce all over the place (I did too, but only in my courses -- for example, I took Arabic, Symbolic Logic, Sociology, Business Ethics, a bunch of anthro courses, etc. on top of required English/literature courses). I'd stick with something that you really, really love, but allows you to take a whole bunch of electives. Then again, my advice isn't exactly the best because I've accepted the fact that I'm going to be extremely poor for the rest of my life (or I'll just be one of those really grouchy English professors or something).

I was a Sociology major the first time. I was asked not to return after my sophomore year so I didn't. I went back to college when I was 30 and did what I really liked. I was a Studio Arts major. It's probably not for you but it was a GREAT major. Homework was more like playing than actual work. Good luck with whatever you decide.

It's in the middle of my second quarter in my second year at my college. .... Computer Science Engineering... I just have interests in many areas and am never satisfied staying in just one for too long because I want to learn more from another.

I was at your exact age in college, when I decided to major in CIS (Computer Information Services). Back then it was half management, half computer science. These days I'm not sure what the degrees are. Anyway, I had dabbled in music, sciences, math, and struck out on all of the above. I was frustrated, and decided to major in computer science and then later on CIS since I had already taken some of the core math, management courses that were required.

I'm now a Software Engineer, Analyst, architect, supervisor, etc. and love all the responsiblities and challenges that come at me each and every day.

Because technology changes so quickly, I rarely get bored - always new things to learn. Since the technologies in computers are so varied, there are many different jobs in the profession and still a high demand for skilled people.

This is a tuff decision. In addition to the advice given, I'd get a degree that will make you employable when you graduate. My sister-in-law got a degree in anthropology. The only job she could get when she graduated was as a bartender. That said, I think employers know that ANY degree shows that you have initiative and the ability to finish a task. Good luck! (P.S. Sister-in-law married someone she met at the bar).

I'm 28 tomorrow and just thinking of going to University. I have an associates in business and it's pretty useless. I have decided to go into Ecology, specifically: B.S. in Natural Resources and Rangeland Ecology - Wildlife Habitat Ecology and Management Option. That's after thinking about being a restaurant owner, opening a natural therapy clinic, sewing/art business and being a massage therapist. I went to school for all these things and feel like I wasted a lot of time but I think no matter where you are in life, you question what your school and life goals are. Knowing me, if I go back to University, I'll change my mind again.

Many--if not most--people wind up getting jobs that have nothing to do with their college major. Don't sweat it too much.

Unless you know that what you absolutely want to do absolutely requires a particular exact degree, then just get something in an interesting field you enjoy. If it helps you get a half-way decent job, all the better, but I'm not so convinced that that should be the primary goal. At any rate, don't pick a major only because it makes you employable. What's the point in getting a job in such-and-such if you don't really like such-and-such to begin with?

Tough to pick just one area of study? Well that's what a minor is for. And electives. Heck, you could go all-out and design your own major, like Will Shortz. Or get a dual degree!

Where I work (non-profit fundraising), I'm surrounded by former psych majors, art majors, biology majors, philosophy majors, english majors, comp sci. majors... you name it. College-age is way too young to know what the heck you want to do with your life anyway. :)

JJ

I know its hard to pick what you want to do, but its important to pick something and just get a degree. You will be making much more money with a degree, and you will likely still be able to choose just about any job you want. You just need to change your resume and whatnot around to make yourself seem perfect for the employer you are trying to impress.

I have a friend who wants to major in archeology. They were going to minor in biology. Now she wants to double major, and has another year at least of school. She still works at a minimum wage 9-5.

I have another friend who got an english degree, and is now making bank doing some sort of business finance. He was able to use his degree to get a top paying job that had nothing to do with his major in the first place.

Thats just my 2c

I have another friend who got an english degree, and is now making bank doing some sort of business finance. He was able to use his degree to get a top paying job that had nothing to do with his major in the first place.

This is usually what I hear about with a lot of English majors, which is why I'm still kinda optimistic about my choice there. ;)

Unless your major is specifically geared toward a set career path (like engineering or education, which are big at my school), undergraduate degree types don't matter too much.

It's in the middle of my second quarter in my second year at my college. In this time I have considered every degree under the sun and have officially moved from Astronomy > Electrical Computer Engineering > English > Physics. I have also talked to Computer Science Engineering, Meteorology, Chemistry, and Philosophy advisers. I have also though about every degree in the college of engineering, anthropology, and geology/volcanology.

I just have interests in many areas and am never satisfied staying in just one for too long because I want to learn more from another. I don't know what I want to do career-wise, probably research and develop new technologies. I'm a complete mess and also might have some cabin fever.

So what has everyone here majored in or wants to major in college and for any grads, what are you doing now?

I'm the same way - I have a lot of interests. I went from Physics > Graphic Design > Comp Sci, but was pretty much interested in all the areas you listed above. While my normal advice is to choose an area you love, that advice doesn't work for people like you cuz you like everything! :) So my advice to you is to do what is going to make you the most money. Because when you are financially stable, you'll have the time and money to pursue your other interests on your off-time. There was a townhall meeting with Bill Gates and Warren Buffet a few weeks ago, and someone asked "What is going to be the next Microsoft?" Bill Gates forsees that the next big business is going to be something in developing environmentally-friendly energy technology. So if you go into Comp Sci, Chemistry, or Engineering you could have a foot in the door in that industry.

As for me, I ended up in programming and database design. But I also do a bit of server administration because you have to know a bit of everything to develop for a platform. I'm not filthy rich, but I make enough to live a comfy life, and I can do my other hobbies and interests in my spare time. One small problem, my list of hobbies and interests are growing and I'm running out of spare time. lol

Last edited:
You probably shouldn't follow my advice since I don't use either of my degrees. I majored in journalism, with a minor in sociology, then I went to law school. I now do no writing or practicing of law and own a travel agency. So all those student loans were for naught...though I did have a blast in college. :)

I'm in the same boat, second semester first year, and I know it's typical to not know what you want to do first, but I can't think of anything I want to do.

You probably shouldn't follow my advice since I don't use either of my degrees. I majored in journalism, with a minor in sociology, then I went to law school. I now do no writing or practicing of law and own a travel agency. So all those student loans were for naught...though I did have a blast in college. :)

Heh, heh... Still, it's funny how the stuff you learn in college can "crop up" no matter what you wind up doing for a living.

For example, there's the famous story of how Steve Jobs took a random college course in calligraphy once when he was young. Years later, when he was leading the team at Apple that designed the first Macintosh, that appreciation for (and knowledge of) fonts and design popped up. Viola! Now pretty much every computer uses a variety of beautiful resizable, variable-spaced fonts, instead of a single ugly, monospaced font that used to be the norm.

So it pays to just "learn stuff" in your life. This is true whether you're in college or not, by the way.

It's not for nothing that Michaelangelo's motto was "ancora imparo"... "I am still learning".

JJ

I was an accounting major then got my law degree 13 years later. I am now in real estate. I wouldn't sweat school yet but I would try and go the cheapest route possible for the first couple of years (ie. junior college) before spending the bucks on a major U. Perhaps you'll find your calling during your first couple of years and you wouldn't have blown your money taking G.E.s. If all else fails I'd go with English and take some business classes on the side or get an MBA. A great writer can work wonders in most fields.

Thanks for everyone's replies and incites. I'm torn between what interests me personally, what will make me marketable, and what will get me out the door the fastest. I have a couple of acc. degrees in CIS so I can get a rather decent job right now, but modern computer science doesn't interest me as much.

The philosophy degree is the one that would be fastest for me to complete. I am going to double major in it if I can find another major. Its outrageous because the full degree is around 15 credit hours more than the minor.

I have been slowly trying to tailor a 'Specialized Studies' degree but I have yet to talk to the advisor in charge. They're very strict about the degree you design and you have to really show it has merit enough for them to accept it.

I didn't mention it in my first post, but I had also considered a major in Finance from the college of Business.

I was a math major, but I didn't want to sit at a desk in front of a computer all day. So I got my degree in geology... and yes, I work as a professional geologist. I'm out in the field about 25-50% of the time and love it.

PS. My first job was an internship at the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory on the big island... can't think of anything better :)

I was unsure of what to do when I graduated high school. Not looking forward to college, I was considering the Navy right after I graduated, but I thought I'd see what happened if I went to school for another year or two. Never having been the best student in the world, it's three years later and I have a whopping 17 credits.

I have been working a lot though and I enjoy my job (for the most part). But, I'd like to do more with my life, so come July, I'll be calling on the Coast Guard to see where that will take me (I'm only waiting until July because the recruiter's booked until then).

I majored in Civil Engineering. I chose this major for a few reasons:
1. I like and am good at Math and science (Basically enginneering)
2. I figured it is a pretty secure job to have (always building or rebuilding stuff)
3. There are a lot of areas that fall within Civil Engineering I figured I could keep myself busy learning forever.
4. It is preceived that Engineers Make $$$ (they do alright but not what I was expecting)
5. I like Construction work but don't want to bust my butt doing labor my entire life. (I have done some manual labor in my day)

That said some of the jobs I have had because of my Major. Most of these were intern or part time but still related to my Major.
1. Bridge Inspection, Inspecting Bridges in National Parks
2. Environmental something or other, getting Permits and Environmental documentation for construction jobs
3. Construction Inspector, worked on a site making sure contractora do what they are supposed to do.
4. Material Lab Tech. Testing Materials from Construction sites to make sure they are up to spec.
5. Soils Lab Tech, Testing soil for Construction jobs
6. Road Inventory Project Manager. I get paid to travel to National Parks all over the country to look at the paved roads and parking lots. This is my current job and I love it.

There are numerous other jobs that fall under my major that I would like to do and some I never want to do (Design). It is a tough choice to try and figure out what you want to do with your life just put thought into it and you should end up happy.

If youre having problems deciding what you want to do, go into medicine! that way you won't have to decide till about 3rd yr of med school. There are lots of branches and specialties in medicine that cover just about any interest. You can major in just about anything in undergrad, just as long as you have prereqs and take the MCAT. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

d2ny

If you've tried everything you thought you wanted to do, and it's not working out, try something you think you don't want to do.

Realistically, most careers don't care what you majored in...all they want to see is that you graduated. So don't major in something you think you need, major in something you like, because you're going to spend the next four years writing a lot of papers about it.

Edit: I'm an anthropology major, but I want nothing to do with anthropology after I graduate. I want to be an ESL teacher :D. But I love anthro, just not as a career.

Top Bottom