Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hooked on the "Plunk"

Default Hooked on the "Plunk"

Inclined these days to sopranos with a slight plunky mid thing going on...waiting on a Mango Flea...

Picked up a Dolphin for my wife yesterday and yeah some decent plunkiness in that plastic backed bargain.

Any other sopranos kind of middy (less banjoey) now that I'm down with the "plunk?"

Bruekos are either loved or hated for their plunkiness. ´specially the all mahogany models and the cedar-topped ones deliver a lot of plunk.
    This is a .44 Martin, the most powerful handgun in the world

A Flea is an excellent choice for the sound you're describing. Put Aquila strings on it to maximize the Plunk Factor.

I think all of mine have plunk.

Plunk? What's Plunk?

Quote Originally Posted by micromue View Post
    Bruekos are either loved or hated for their plunkiness. ´specially the all mahogany models and the cedar-topped ones deliver a lot of plunk.
    If I came across one this week, I'd probably buy one without hesitation. I wish they were still easily available here in the States.

Hopin' to have some of that plunk tomorrow...I even asked them at Flea to put on some Aquilas before shipping.
    Last edited by luvdat; 02-12-2010 at 02:19 PM.

I just got my SK35 from MGM, and it has the plunk. That good, mahogany plunk. I know you played the gloss in the City last weekend; this is the matte, and it has that great sound you are describing.
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

Quote Originally Posted by pdxuke View Post
    I just got my SK35 from MGM, and it has the plunk. That good, mahogany plunk. I know you played the gloss in the City last weekend; this is the matte, and it has that great sound you are describing.
    It looks like you have a real nice "plunk" collection going. You could do a great comparision with all of those soprano hogs. All you need now, is the gold standard (a Martin).

I had started a YT Playlist that I called "Oldstyle," but I may have to rename it "Plunk."

Plunk Playlist
    Last edited by SweetWaterBlue; 02-12-2010 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SweetWaterBlue View Post
    It looks like you have a real nice "plunk" collection going. You could do a great comparision with all of those soprano hogs. All you need now, is the gold standard (a Martin).

Yes, ha ha, I've found my love, and it's mahogany. Someday, but probably not until school is out (teacher) I'll do a comparison. The Ohana and Mainland are clearly same factory, the sound is probably the same. But with the Mainland geared tuners and Ohana pegs I have the best of both worlds because I now have--uh--both worlds. The Jenny looks similar but it has this crazy, bright sound, that I actually like too, so it's a bit different.

The Martin would be nice--someday. My Sprucehouse SO has a very close look, and my guess is it sounds close too. I have to learn more about the different Martin SO eras before I even think of buying. Oh, and I also have to be willing to fork out several hundred bucks!

I'd like a matte finish mahogany pineapple to match the mango. Mainland, or maybe a mele--I think they have a matte finish.

PLUNK!
    My Soprano Empire:
    VINTAGE MARTINS: c.'48 Martin 0
    OTHER VINTAGE: c30s Blue Favilla, c50 TV Pal, 30s Redhead
    MODERN MARTINS: OXK; 2012 2M
    KAMAKA: 2010 Pineapple (RIP MGM)

My Baritone Empire:
    '12 Kala KA-B, '69 Silvertone, c.'53-57 Favilla, c.'63 Martin, '11 Kamaka

STRUMTESTS//ADD to The STRING DATABASE and UKE CASE DATABASE // Take the NAME THAT MARTIN test.

Thread Information