Pono Koa Tenor PKT-1

lonsilog

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering buying a Pono PKT1 tenor solid(?) koa ukulele. I thought I read somewhere (not @UU forums) that the Pono PKT-1 is not a solid koa, but a solid mahogany with koa laminate over. Since then, I cannot find the review, and I cannot find enough info regarding this particular uke. Does anyone know the truth/facts about this line of ukes?

Just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I believe the PK series were all solid wood - I was under the impression that all Ponos have always been all solid. I've browsed around the web a bit this evening and so far the things I've found have indicated solid wood.

The first generation Koa Ponos were laminated. All of the current Pono's are solid wood.

The first generation Koa Ponos were laminated. All of the current Pono's are solid wood.

Is there any obvious way to tell the difference? For example, the PKT that was sold a while back was a laminate (link below)
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?12589-Pono-PKT-for-sale

... but there was also mention that the solid koa PKT1 does not have the black binding as the PKT laminate (same thread, post #4), and that the PKT is an earlier model and a laminate. does this mean that the PKT (no number associated with it) is the older laminate model, and the PKT1 is a newer solid koa?

I have a PKT1 with cutaway that I got last year from MGM and it's solid wood.

I double checked and it's a PKT1-CE. Solid Koa.

Attachments

• DSC_0012.jpg
    DSC_0012.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 40
Is there any obvious way to tell the difference? For example, the PKT that was sold a while back was a laminate (link below)
http://ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?12589-Pono-PKT-for-sale

... but there was also mention that the solid koa PKT1 does not have the black binding as the PKT laminate (same thread, post #4), and that the PKT is an earlier model and a laminate. does this mean that the PKT (no number associated with it) is the older laminate model, and the PKT1 is a newer solid koa?

You can tell if a uke is laminate......in my experience.....look at back of the uke throught the sound hole. the grain on the inside should match the grain on the outside....solid wood. if you look at the sound hole itself, you can tell if there is just one piece of wood or a laminate glued on.

The answer to your second question. Yes.... PKT was the first issues made with laminate. PKT-1 followed being solid koa. btw...Ko'olau no longer makes their Pono line in Koa anymore, and.....the ukulele you are talking about in this post....I was the owner selling it. :)

My PKT-1-E is solid Koa. I don't know the age of it but it has no truss-rod in the neck.

Jude

You can tell if a uke is laminate......in my experience.....look at back of the uke throught the sound hole. the grain on the inside should match the grain on the outside....solid wood. if you look at the sound hole itself, you can tell if there is just one piece of wood or a laminate glued on.

The answer to your second question. Yes.... PKT was the first issues made with laminate. PKT-1 followed being solid koa. btw...Ko'olau no longer makes their Pono line in Koa anymore, and.....the ukulele you are talking about in this post....I was the owner selling it. :)

Dino... thanks, bro. Very informative stuff.

I was going to PM you at one point to ask you about it, but you beat me to it. :D

I have a PKT1 with cutaway that I got last year from MGM and it's solid wood.

I believe the PK series were all solid wood - I was under the impression that all Ponos have always been all solid. I've browsed around the web a bit this evening and so far the things I've found have indicated solid wood.

My PKT-1-E is solid Koa. I don't know the age of it but it has no truss-rod in the neck.

Thank you all for the helpful (and educational) info. I decided to grab the PKT-1. She looks pretty, and most of all... she sounds great.

Awesome....more special if it's made of koa. How much you get it for....if you don't mine my asking....and......pictures or it never happened! hahahahahha

My PKT-1

LOL! You just want some uke p***.

I got it for $500 + tax (9.75% in my area... sucks big time), but the guy let me trade my Lanikai for full price. I figured it wasn't too bad, and I liked the sound. I gotta tell ya... I really like the solid koa sound more than the solid mahogany (or maybe it's the sound of a Pono vs Lanikai). Of course the make also makes a difference, but the sound between these two was so obvious that I knew which one I wanted. I changed the strings right away, so they're rockin the aquillas now. I have the T2s waiting in the wings, but I'm waiting for the Ko'olau golds I ordered to try first.

Here are some pictures (just for you, Dino). I'm not a great photographer, so the gloss didn't come out as well as it looks in person. No name for her yet...

Attachments

• DSC_0413 v2.jpg
    DSC_0413 v2.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC_0409 v2.jpg
    DSC_0409 v2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC_0411.jpg
    DSC_0411.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSC_0414 v2.jpg
    DSC_0414 v2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Here are some pictures (just for you, Dino). I'm not a great photographer, so the gloss didn't come out as well as it looks in person. No name for her yet...

Wow, she's a beauty. No wonder you got rid of the Kala (thanks for the awesome deal, by the way). Let me know if/when you want to sell your Kelii, and what kind of deal you want to throw my way :)

Wow. Very nice. Now you making me miss mine that I sold! sniff sniff. hahaha. Way better choice than your lanikai. Thanks for posting the pics. Can we expect a video soon?????? hehehe.

Wow. Very nice. Now you making me miss mine that I sold! sniff sniff. hahaha. Way better choice than your lanikai. Thanks for posting the pics. Can we expect a video soon?????? hehehe.

Thanks, Dino. Yeah, I don't miss the Lanikai at all. I was going to ask about your PKC. I'm glad it was sold (and also sad with you).

As for the vid... i don't have the skillz yet, but I may put one up anyway.

Wow, she's a beauty. No wonder you got rid of the Kala (thanks for the awesome deal, by the way). Let me know if/when you want to sell your Kelii, and what kind of deal you want to throw my way :)

No problem, and thanks for taking one of my ukes out of my hands. At least now you can match your sister's uke (she has the S-T also, right?)

If and when I sell the Kelii, you'll get first dibs, then it goes to the UU Marketplace.

No problem, and thanks for taking one of my ukes out of my hands. At least now you can match your sister's uke (she has the S-T also, right?)

If and when I sell the Kelii, you'll get first dibs, then it goes to the UU Marketplace.

A man with my same taste's......I had a concert Keli'i I had sold recently too. Mine was made in 2001. Was nice, but I like Tenor's.

Top Bottom