Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukulele Tunes for little ears contest

Default Ukulele Tunes for little ears contest

Hi. I would like to announce a competition, in the spirit of passing on our love and enthusiasm for the ukulele.

I, like many others of you out there, am a parent and I love to play my uke for and with my kids, I often play spontaneous songs that I make up about them, or their toys or what we did that day…sometimes they are even quite good, it doesn’t matter though cos we really enjoy what we do…good, bad or silly.

Anyway that got me thinking, wouldn’t it be great to have fun new songs to play for the kids? and wouldn’t it be great if we could share them?

SO… I have this idea about making a site where we can post the vids, the words and chords and share these tunes free for everyone. I will host the site and pay all costs related to it, I’ll probably throw a few discreet uke related ads on there to pay the bills. Of course to make this happen I need you.

So here is the comp.

Write an original ukulele song for children.

The prize…

A Makala Dolphin, set up by MGM, in any colour you want! WOO!

This can be sent anywhere worldwide.

Since this is a comp about encouraging kids to enjoy the uke, and since many of you already have a dolphin or something much, much better. I will happily accept if you wish to nominate a rug rat or other deserving entity to receive the uke instead of you.

Rules, terms and all that malarkey

1. You must play a ukulele in the video. DUR!

2. Only two entries per person.

3. Multi tracking is ok, but the idea is to make the tune accessible to everyone so please bear that in mind.

4. Kids love songs with actions, so actions would be awesome, though not compulsory.

5. You must post the chords and the lyrics in the side bar, so everyone can play your tune.

6. you must post your video as a reply to the competition video…it’s here

7. closing date for the competition will be May 31st. contest closing date extended to June 14th
    8 . Judging will take place during the following 2 weeks, the judges will be Sarah age 3 Lucy age 4 Laurie age 7 Sam age 1 George age 5 and Gray age 40.

9 By entering you accept that the video may be used on a uke tunes for kids site which will be free to access for anyone.

Judging criteria, well it’s very simple…. The kids must like it.

Once the competition is finished I will make the site and make it possible for any user to submit new songs.

Comments, suggestions and ideas much appreciated.

Good Luck Have Fun,

can’t wait to see the entries!
    Last edited by grammy; 05-31-2010 at 10:52 PM.

Gibberish on you tube

Thanks for having the competition/contest, grammy. Mighty nice of you to throw in a dolphin for the prize too. You've given us lots of time so don't be surprised if the majority of "us" wait until the last week or so to post something. Not that any of us procrastinate. Several good contests going on right now so it's time for me to get busy.

Yeah cool contest. I'm sure there'll be lots of entries
    Never do a children songs but i'll try it
    Answer Sheet
    facebook.
    Pelem Ukulele
    Youtube
    Indonesia Ukulele Community
    Mahalo U-30, Lanikai S-TEQ, Harders Tenor Solid Acacia by Pelem Ukulele

Great idea for a contest. I love that the judges will be kids.
    Leolani Zebrawood Concert
    Kala Acacia Tenor w/ MiSi pickup

Can the tune be borrowed but the lyrics be original? I am actually working on something like this right now for my class. an example would be borrow the tune for let's say old macdonald but change the lyrics.

tough call but i am gonna have to say no.

first cos original means 100% original and half the fun in writing a song is writing the tune and second cos Barney the blummin dinosaur does it all the time and my daughter now thinks that the words to 'this old man' are actually 'i love you , you love me' etc and i can't in all good conscience encourage that kind of malarkey.
    Last edited by grammy; 02-18-2010 at 12:05 PM.

Gibberish on you tube

Does the song have to stoop down to the level of a barney song? I'm working on a song right now that's kid friendly, but sounds closer to a John Mayer song. It has to do with living in a jungle, but its not a bouncy happy song like Barney songs.

So what I am asking, do the kids who are judging this song like barney songs or are they into more popular songs as well as long as they are kid friendly?

hmmm. trying to pump me for info on the judges so you can pander to them eh? :-)

my advice, write what you want to write. who can say what will appeal to kids. the other day i was listening to The doors while i worked and my daughter came in said ' daddy what's this?' i said' it's the doors.' she said ' excellent music'. she isn't even three, i was very proud. personally i think Barney style is loathsome cos it is patronising, insults the intelligence of kids, is over moralising and all them American kids with too much make up and fake smiles is downright nauseating - but not all kids music need to be like that, look at 'puff the magic dragon', made many a kid cry for poor puff all on his own cos Jackie grew up, but they all love it. or what about 'the worm at the bottom of the garden' fun, funny and still silly suitable for small kids without stooping to Barney vomit.

Gibberish on you tube

Great that's exactly what I wanted to know! Thanks.

Red face I love this contest!

This is right up my alley. I love to make songs for the kids! I play for my little ones class once a month. Too bad about not using popular tunes that they are familiar with though because I have made up some great lyrics of well known cover songs that have been a hit with the kids. I've only written one song myself for my little girl. The class has requested it before so it must be pretty good. I'll send it in. Thanks for this contest!

Thread Information