Looking for new tenor uke in $300 range

A friend of mine just purchased this Kala ukulele (Acaicia wood). I played it and was impressed. For the price, this is an excellent buy. It has aquilar strings with a low G. It has a satin finish, but that's my preference verses a shiny gloss finish. Slightly curved back which gives it a deep sound. What surprised me was how loud it was. It has inlay designs along the fretboard, I would have been happy without it. Nice dark brown edge, purfling top and bottom. It has white round markers visible on the side of the fretboard at the 5,7,10 and at the 3 fret. A slotted headstock for a 4 string seems unusual, but the triple laminate shows through the slot opening, a nice touch. Rosewood bridge and saddle that matches the fretboard. Overall, you can't beat the price. Oh... no electric plug in.

I love my Kala acacia tenor, for what it's worth. Really nice warm sound, but not quite as muted as mahogany, IMO. Mine has a pretty grain, too. :)

If Matt's video is anything to go by then the acacia tenor sounds great. Kala's solid mahogany range is also excellent.

IMHO, Kala tenors are an absolute joy to play once set up to your preference. If I ever buy another tenor I'll probably get a Kala solid mahogany identical to the one I just had to sell, or maybe the acacia version.

The few Lanikais I've played all seemed nice, but perhaps not quite as much... I dunno... character as the Kalas.

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it. I think I'm gonna go on ahead and buy that Kala Acacia Tenor. The only thing i'm worried about is getting the grain i want, i guess ima have to press my luck with MGM =X

Top Bottom