Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What wood would?

Default What wood would?

Because every guitar geek I meet is an "expert" I've gotten confused and haven't been able to find a definitive answer:
    I have a
    Kala KA-T- all laminated wood? Mahogany
    and a
    Lanikai LU-21TE - Solid top, laminated sides and back? Nato (which BTW is cut the in a very pretty way so the grain meanders across the wood. Very pretty)
    Steve Barkman custom tenor; Kala KA-Tenor; Makala Pineapple Soprano, Bushman Jenny Baritone, Marunuci Baritone (project) Cook islands ukulele.
    The worst thing about New Zealand is it's miles from anywhere, hardly anyone lives here and no one knows where it is; the best thing about NZ is it's miles from anywhere, hardly anyone lives here and no one knows where it is.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Uk...2542018?v=wall

I don't understand the question

My 'ukuleles:
    • LU-21P Lanikai Soprano Pineapple
    • LFM-T Lanikai Flamed Maple Tenor
    • Lauren Baritone

What would would what?

I believe your Kala tenor is a laminate. In its promotional materials, Kala seems to always use the word "solid" before the name of the wood to denote that the wood is not a laminate. Kala's solid wood mahogany tenor is called KA-SMHT and is described as being "all solid wood mahogany."
    http://kalaukulele.com/Kala%20Ukulel...0Mahogany.html

I don't know anything about Lanikai ukuleles.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
    "I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them."
    - Ian L. Fleming (1908-1964)

Hmmmmm. a good question, There's nothing wrong with a well made laminated uke, a good laminate beats a poorly made solid hands down, BUT a well made solid wood will sound better than a laminate, because the wood rings truer, just by the way a laminate is made...it will dampen the sound a bit...(unless the wood underneath and the veneer are lined up precisely) either way, just pick your uke on the sound and teh feel when you play it. Also, one of your ukes has a solid top and laminatesd sides and back, which I find is the next best to having a really nicely made all solid uke. Having gone through all that, the ukes you have are decent, and well made... so enjoy them and tell your guitar snobs to get a life!

It's ouuurs, precious...It's our ukeses and we wants it, we needs it, we MUST haveses it! They might buyses it firsts, our ukeses in filthy, dirrty handses!

Fluke mango concert (Britney), Koa Pili Koko tenor (Beyonce), Melokia pineapple soprano (Miley), Kala kiwi soprano (Kylie), Brad D. superconcert (Fiona), Doane Clone baritone (Bjork), Cigar box tenor (Bonnie), Lanikai cedar deluxe concert (Katy)

I was obvious being too clever for my own good
    (Thanks MDS725 - you've answered half of my badly phrased question)
    My question should have been:
    I have a
    Kala KA-T (mahogany) - is that instrument all laminated wood? (Answered by mds 725 above - thanks)
    and a
    Lanikai LU-21TE (Nato [eastern mahogany]) is that instrument likely to be solid top, laminated sides and back?
    I just keep getting conflicting answers and can't find the details in any sales pitch online
    Steve Barkman custom tenor; Kala KA-Tenor; Makala Pineapple Soprano, Bushman Jenny Baritone, Marunuci Baritone (project) Cook islands ukulele.
    The worst thing about New Zealand is it's miles from anywhere, hardly anyone lives here and no one knows where it is; the best thing about NZ is it's miles from anywhere, hardly anyone lives here and no one knows where it is.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Uk...2542018?v=wall

A woodchuck would chuck all the wood he could if a woodchuck could chuck wood.
    "A few chords strummed on a ukulele, enough to please a few others beside yourself, does more good in this world than the combined efforts of all the financiers and politicians that ever lived."

My YouTube channel.
    Mya-Moe Port Orford Cedar/Maple Concert
    MP Custom Zebrawood Pineapple Longneck Soprano

Email the companies themselves, I've always had good responses and you can't get truer info than the people who make them.
    Sticks of choice:
    Kanile'a K1 Concert - KoAloha DVI - Mainland Concert Mahogany - Ohana CK-75CG - Makala Dolphin

If a woodchuck chucked too much wood, the woodchuck would probably upchuck wood. And nobody wants to see that happen.

Thread Information